ceramic processors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i have a few kilos of ceramic processors----i do not have nitric acid to make AR------but i have NACN and M-NBSS as an oxidizer---and zinc powder to precipitate AU---------is it possible to obtain gold using NACN+M-NBSS as a deplating solution?for many years i obtained gold from processors by using AR-------thanks for any help?the processors are 286,386,486 and various others----------------
regards to all
Arthur

Have you considered sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate in replacement of your nitric? You would have better luck with these in recovering a higher percentage of your gold IMHO.

i have not thought yet in using nano3 or kno3,because since i have lots of nacn --if i find no alternative i will use the nitrate that Barren sugested----of course i will have to buy it------
thanks again to all
Arthur

Arthur,

Good to hear from you. It's been awhile.

What's the problem with getting nitric acid? It would sure make life easier.

NaCN + m-NBSS will readily strip gold plating. However, it won't dissolve the gold/tin braze used to braze the lid and it won't dissolve the gold/silicon braze commonly used to attach the silicon chip. Electrolytic cyanide will not dissolve these brazes either. If gold brazes are present, they can represent the majority of the gold value on these parts.

The only way that I know to dissolve these brazes is with aqua regia. You might try HCl + H2O2 or HCl + m-NBSS but, unless you also dissolve the base metals, the dissolved gold will probably re-immerse (plate out) onto them.

Chris

goldsilverpro said:
Arthur,

Good to hear from you. It's been awhile.

What's the problem with getting nitric acid? It would sure make life easier.

NaCN + m-NBSS will readily strip gold plating. However, it won't dissolve the gold/tin braze used to braze the lid and it won't dissolve the gold/silicon braze commonly used to attach the silicon chip. Electrolytic cyanide will not dissolve these brazes either. If gold brazes are present, they can represent the majority of the gold value on these parts.

The only way that I know to dissolve these brazes is with aqua regia. You might try HCl + H2O2 or HCl + m-NBSS but, unless you also dissolve the base metals, the dissolved gold will probably re-immerse (plate out) onto them.

Chris

I think HCL + H2O2 will create more of a volume of solution than what you want to deal with. Unless you are using a 32% or higher concentrated solution.

I think HCL + H2O2 will create more of a volume of solution than what you want to deal with. Unless you are using a 32% or higher concentrated solution.
Probably.

I have never used HCl + m-NBSS or even played with it. I mentioned it because a fairly common stripper for nickel plating is H2SO4 + m-NBSS - m-NBSS is an oxidizing agent that is much more stable than H2O2. Might be worth a small experiment.

goldsilverpro said:
Probably.

I have never used HCl + m-NBSS or even played with it. I mentioned it because a fairly common stripper for nickel plating is H2SO4 + m-NBSS - m-NBSS is an oxidizing agent that is much more stable than H2O2. Might be worth a small experiment.

That could well be worth trying for an experiment in the future.

Barren and goldsilver (Chris)-----i retired 2years ago and left my lab with my son---Sometimes, material like ceramic processors comes around for gold recuperations and refining---I used Nacn many times to recuperate gold from plated material---Then i thought that i could use nacn in the processors ---i forgot the many failures that i had trying to use nacn with processors----i needed a reminder and both of you reminded me.Thanks to both of you------i did not want to use Hno3 because of the fumes and my equipment to eliminate the fumes have problems at the moment----but i wll use it,since is the correct method. thanks to you again.
As i have plenty of free time ,i will experiment some processors with Hcl+m-nbss and pass the results (if it works well) to you-----
Regards to all
Arthur

Arthur,

I have no idea what concentrations to use but I would probably start at about 30-40% HCl, by volume, and about 40-50g/l of m-NBSS. It may take much stronger HCl. Heat would probably be good but that could cause a fume problem.

Keep us posted.

Good luck,
Chris

Latest posts

Back