Chemical Gold & Palladium Test w/Video

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin faust

I recently did a test on an old circuit board out of a cable box. This box used a rotary pot to change channels. The test I performed using a Celestron Digital microscope at 10x. I was using a 10k

Video 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPos0E7pJk8[/youtube]

gold test solution. I put a drop of the test solution on this via hole and insert to determine if it is gold or not, from the video you can see the bubbling occurring between the insert and the wall of the board butt nothing very significant is occurring in the center of the insert. Towards the end of the video, you will see some very slight bubbling on the top but I cannot determine if that is from the bubbling action underneath or not. There is some slight discoloration; I know that is the test solution turning green. I was thinking of trying a higher solution like 18k or even 20k.

The second video was done with palladium test solution and the third video

Video 2

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4_J1W1kmw[/youtube]

Video 3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAhGS88ROn0[/youtube]

was done after I scratched the surface with a file it goes out of focus for a moment, then gets better and again using palladium test solution. In both of these videos there does not seem to be any real bubbling affect in the center just around the edges, the foggy look is from the solution outcasing or fumes.

Would you say this is an accurate test for gold, platinum, or palladium? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would not rely on this type of test as an accurate indication of values in escrap.

If you want to know if a part has Au or Pd in it simply dissolve it with 35% nitric acid. The gold will not dissolve and remains as a thin foil. The solution can then be tested with DMG for Pd. To confirm the remaining powder/foils are gold, filter them out and add them to a little HCl and drip in a few drops of bleach and heat, they should dissolve and the liquid should test positive (purple) to stannous chloride.

Steve

Steve,
Thank you for the information, I have been unable to produce any nitric acid so for, I am new at this, so I am taking things very careful. Maybe I am being a little too careful. I am someone who needs to be comfortable with the process before I get too far in over my head. I read some of these posts and get confused sometimes due to all the different processes that can be used to extract the gold. I am trying to determine the best method for me, which is taking some time. I hope to have some results soon. Right now, I am building up some stock and stripping down electronic components so I know what is good for gold extraction and what trash.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin
Saftey Always Comes First

Latest posts

Back