chemicals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither can I .The place in B.C I get my nitric from only carries reagent grade not tech but the price is the same??? Also can only buy 500 ml at a time up to 2 litres so of course they carry 500ml for 30 bucks a piece and 2.5 litres (which I can't buy due to regs )for 40 bucks.Still break even on scrap, on karat I make nothing , at least i'm learning something rewarding and prices can always go up on metals,or down, but thats all a part of the experience .Thinking silver may be a new direction from gold.Any books you can recommend on refining silver GSP ?

Look at GSP's signature line.

His book has all you need to refine silver from many different sources.

Goaldspektre, I don't think that it's against regulations to sell to you any quantity. It seems they've chosen to sell to individuals only in amounts that fall under the record keeping requirements.
From their perspective it's probably a good idea, and keeps things clear cut.

Here's the most pertinent part of the law:

Sales

18. (1) No seller shall sell a restricted component if they have reasonable grounds to suspect that the restricted component will be used for a criminal purpose.

(2) The seller must report any instances when they refuse to sell a restricted component as a result of complying with subsection (1) to the Chief Inspector and to the local police within 24 hours of the refusal.

**So depending on the mood of the person selling the chemicals, if they don't like the looks of you, and decide not to sell to you, then they are by law supposed to report you to the police. \
**Then , depending on the mood of the police, you could end up in an ugly situation.

Identification

19. Before selling a restricted component, a seller must be provided with
(a) if the restricted component is to be used as an explosive, the purchaser’s licence, permit or certificate that is issued under the Act;
(b) if the purchaser is a seller, proof of the purchaser’s enrolment on the list of sellers of restricted components; or
(c) in all other cases,
(i) an identification issued by the Government of Canada, or a provincial, municipal or foreign government, that bears a photograph of the purchaser,
(ii) if the purchaser is registered under the Controlled Goods Regulations, proof of their registration, or
(iii) if the person has a business licence or corporate registration, proof of the licence or registration.
Record keeping

20. (1) A seller must obtain and keep the following records for each sale of a restricted component:
(a) the purchaser’s name, address and telephone number;
(b) the date of the sale;
(c) the bill of lading, sales receipt or similar document;
(d) the type and number of the document provided under section 19;
(e) the trade name, quantity and package size of the component;
(f) a description of how the component will be used; and
(g) if the component is shipped, the date of reception and the quantity received.
Access

(2) The seller must keep the records under lock and key when they are not being used and must make them available only to those persons who need access to them in the course of their employment.
Application

(3) This section applies to a sale of an amount greater than
(a) for hydrogen peroxide, 1 L;
(b) for nitromethane, 1 L;
(c) for potassium chlorate, 1 kg;
(d) for potassium perchlorate, 10 kg;
(e) for sodium chlorate, 1 kg;
(f) for nitric acid, 3.5 kg;
(g) for potassium nitrate, 25 kg; and
(h) for sodium nitrate, 25 kg.

From the above section , you can see the quantities that the regulation doesn't apply to. Of course there is nothing stopping them from selling to you in any quantity, however, if they think you are on the level. A business license would go a long ways to help gain their trust, if you want to take it that far. Who knows, maybe if you keep buying from them they'll get to know you and they'll let you buy 2.5 L at a time. :roll:

Latest posts

Back