Clorox Process help with SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonwebb

So I have a solution that has absorbed all the gold. Now it is not a gold colour but more of a light light green. I know this is from me not washing the gold properly.
How about would I go dropping the gold? Should the solution be diluted with water before dropping?

Thanks

Hoke,page 57:

finally diluting with considerable water and getting
rid of all sediment. This procedure is necessary when you use cop-
peras, or sulphur dioxide, or any other precipitant.

maybe it's that, what you searched?

masonwebb said:
So I have a solution that has absorbed all the gold. Now it is not a gold colour but more of a light light green. I know this is from me not washing the gold properly.
How about would I go dropping the gold? Should the solution be diluted with water before dropping?

Thanks

Chlorine --- yellow-green gas. You still have excess chlorine in solution.

I've noticed that my solution sitting the green chlorine settles to the bottom, this is why heating the solution is recommended to drive off the gas.

Attachments

• Chlorine_gas2.jpg
    Chlorine_gas2.jpg
    11.5 KB
I had the same problem with my 1st batch through AP HCl/Cl. You probably used WAY too much bleach. It really only takes a little to dissolve quite a bit of gold. Put your solution back in a beaker & heat it until it just starts to bubble. NOT boiling. Just gassing off the Cl. Keep a watch glass over it so you don't lose any of your gold. If you already have SMB in the solution you will be able to see when all the chlorine is gone. The solution will turn a very dark, muddy color. That's the gold precipitating out of solution. Continue the heat a little longer until the bubbling stops. Then let it settle for a day. Yes. A whole day. 24 hours. Your solution should be very clear & your gold will be a nice brown powder on the bottom. If you haven't added the SMB yet, you'll have to hazard a guess as to how much chlorine & water is in your solution. Heat it the same way & reduce the volume by however much to remove the water & chlorine. For instance, if your have 750 ml of solution & you think about 1/3 is water & chlorine, reduce the volume to at least 500 ml. Better yet, get closer to 400 ml. Throughout all, be patient. None of this happens very quickly.

Hope that helps,

Ed

cejohnsonsr said:
I had the same problem with my 1st batch through AP HCl/Cl. You probably used WAY too much bleach. It really only takes a little to dissolve quite a bit of gold. Put your solution back in a beaker & heat it until it just starts to bubble. NOT boiling. Just gassing off the Cl. Keep a watch glass over it so you don't lose any of your gold. If you already have SMB in the solution you will be able to see when all the chlorine is gone. The solution will turn a very dark, muddy color. That's the gold precipitating out of solution. Continue the heat a little longer until the bubbling stops. Then let it settle for a day. Yes. A whole day. 24 hours. Your solution should be very clear & your gold will be a nice brown powder on the bottom. If you haven't added the SMB yet, you'll have to hazard a guess as to how much chlorine & water is in your solution. Heat it the same way & reduce the volume by however much to remove the water & chlorine. For instance, if your have 750 ml of solution & you think about 1/3 is water & chlorine, reduce the volume to at least 500 ml. Better yet, get closer to 400 ml. Throughout all, be patient. None of this happens very quickly.

Hope that helps,

Ed

I did the right ratio of 4:1 measured. It's been sitting for like 2 days now, wouldn't all the chlorine have gone? I would prefer to just let the chlorine go off on its own. Do I dilute before using smb?

solar_plasma said:
Hoke,page 57:

finally diluting with considerable water and getting
rid of all sediment. This procedure is necessary when you use cop-
peras, or sulphur dioxide, or any other precipitant.

maybe it's that, what you searched?

I read it on the forum somewhere, I searched Clorox lime green lol

masonwebb said:
cejohnsonsr said:

Hope that helps,

Ed

I did the right ratio of 4:1 measured. It's been sitting for like 2 days now, wouldn't all the chlorine have gone? I would prefer to just let the chlorine go off on its own. Do I dilute before using smb?

Hint - - Chlorine gas is heavier than air, you'll need heat to drive it out of solution.

Latest posts

Back