cloudy auric chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steyr223

Hi

Not that it is a problem , but i am curious.
As i finished decanting I ended up with 2 buckets of gold foil, my wash bucket and what was my original
reaction bucket
The wash bucket had so much mask in it I decided to do separate hci/bleach processes.
My wash bucket after filtering with the toilet paper plug in funnel came out clear and golden
but my reaction bucket which looked to be very clean came out a cloudy and golden

I figured i had a bit of meta stannic acid in my solution but it actually stayed together and was able to pour
it off at the end into a separate bucket with my last hcl wash

Could the tin have caused the cloudiness and wouldn't both beakers be affected

BTW (i did this in A/P that was sitting in my truck dormant with a sealed lid with no bubblier)(I figured it couldn't
hurt to let them soak before i went active again)

thanks steyr223 rob

If I understand the question correctly you are asking what would make a transparent pregnant gold solution go cloudy.

The answer is quite simply a precipitate formed when the solution was diluted. This is common for a transparent strongly acidic solution to cloud up when water is added, typically due to the formation of traces silver chloride which were carried over in the strong acid (silver chloride is slightly soluble in concentrated acid).

A dirty bucket could also cause a transparent solution to turn cloudy.

Steve

It only takes a trace of silver to cloud of solution, let it settle, decant and filter the solution, filter the remaining part separately to make sure it doesn't ruin the main volume of solution and add to the rest when fully clear and precipitate as normal.

Latest posts

Back