cold weather

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, to an extent. Generally, the cold will negatively effect the refining process in all aspects, whether you are removing base metals in a acid soak or dropping the gold. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

srlaulis,
You are not wrong, but sometimes cold can also help.

SMB in a dilute acid can create SO2 gas, which is the active ingrediant to precipitate the gold.

Gases stay in solutions better when cold.

SO2 gas will precipitate gold metal from a gold chloride solution with Ice cubes in it.

Most metal salts will precipitate better from cold solutions, and depending on what metals and acid formed the salt, can depend on how much of these salts will precipitate at a given temperature or concentration, so here if we had base metals in solution they may also precipitate easier in the very cold solution.

I do not know what temperature we are discussing, or any details here, such as base metals in solution, free oxidizers, or so on, but I would look first to other causes for the problem here.

What does the stannous chloride test show?
Does it reduce the gold in solution?

Thanks for clarifying butcher. I was under the impression the ice cubes were to help keep the temperature down during the reaction. I will review and annotate this in my notes.

stannous chloride test showed a purplish/maybe kinda brownish color on the fringes. i added smb, let it settle, in the morning all i had was a bunch of white powder settled on the bottom and a solution which had turned brown, but no brown precipitate. we're talking temps of low to mid 20's. thanks in advance.

Well since the original poster has been banned (per the other thread), I guess i'll hijack his thread a little bit.

So in my "well ventilated area" where i'm going to be doing my work, i'd like to start processing fingers in an AP solution. I know i've read that this works the best around 80-90 degrees, right now, my area is somewhere between 20-40 degrees (night and day). Will the AP still dissolve the copper but just a lot slower then if it was warmer? I'm a very patient guy so if its adds 2 to 3 times more time to each step, I'm OK with that, just don't want to wait until spring before I start. :)

Thanks
Ken

You can still process in those temperatures. I just did a batch of fingers in AP and it was in the upper 30's low 40's. Get an air bubbler stone and use it in the container with your batch. It is a little slower, but not too much with the use of a stone.

Ok Cool thanks Srlaulis. So the weird pourous stone material with the plastic tubing to an aerator (I think its called) and all that is ok to add to the fingers? Does that take the place of hydrogen peroxide or make it so you don't have to keep adding as much?

Use peroxide to get the reaction started, and add the bubbler stone in at the same time. The stone helps keep the acid active, reducing the amount of peroxide.

Latest posts

Back