colorless

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madr

Okey guys, Hy to everyone. I just need a little help. I am desperate. I breakthrough perfectly every step to get a gold from my one hundred phone collection. And when I get to the ''SMB'' I added it, and puf. Nothing happen, it went from yellow to collorless and thats it. Its been two days and still nothing. Did I add too much SMB, or it is because its cold outside. Please, just simple advice what should I do next. I dont now what I done wrong.

We need to know exactly what you have done up to this stage, you say it all went perfectly but that's just your opinion, no insult intended. Did you test your solution to see if it had any gold in it?
Did you dissolve all the base metals from your phones? If not that's probably where your gold is, cemented out of solition but apparently gone to the untrained naked eye.
Give us the full run down of what you have done and with what chemicals and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

Hey, thanks for reply. I will try to figure out how to send you photos. First I cleaned plates of connectors, chips and everything on it. Then I separated gold like always with AP bath. Then I get a lot of gold and a lot of green residue of the plastik. Then I just use muratic acid enough to cover acid and then adding bleach until all the gold were dissolved. I filtered that. I get one beautiful and a strong yellow solution. All of this I worked out, and its cold outside. Then I start to adding slowly smb (sodium metabisulfite) in solution and I get colorless solution, but like always I left it over the night, usualy when I wake up something happen, but now nothing, still colorless solution. In panic I add small mount of water, so solution is now weakest brown color just a little. I now, I need to read down book and everything, but I am doing this from april 2015 and I just need to finish this time. I am realy angry on myself for failing at the end. I invested a lot in this. And believe me it is realy hard to read and do everything if english isnt your mother language. I hope you will have patience with me and help me if you can. I will try to gentle heat solution? This is first time I am doing this on cold wheater. And realy thank you guys. Realy.

Attachments

• индекс.jpg
    индекс.jpg
    30.3 KB
madr, welcome to the forum. I don't see where you mention testing your solution at any point. Based on your description, it sounds like you had some gold and you dissolved it with muriatic acid (HCl) and bleach. Did you test that solution to be sure you had dissolved the gold? Did you heat the solution or allow enough time for any excess chlorine to gas out? When you checked your solution the next day, did you test it then? Let us know the results and we'll try to help.

Dave

Guys thanks for welcome. I am in bus now going for town and I will picture you solution tomorow when I get back home. No i did not use testing. On that picture I used spray with water to put gold from coffee filter to bottle. I see you want to help me and I am realy grateful.

madr, you must learn to test your solutions. It's the only way to know whether your gold is in solution or not. Without it, you can only guess whether you've dissolved your gold, precipitated it, or if it is still in solution.

Hoke discusses testing thoroughly in her book (there are links to it in my signature line below), and it has been discussed at great length in the forum. Since English is not your first language, I'll describe it very briefly. By dissolving some tin in HCl, you create stannous chloride testing solution. If you take a drop of the solution you want to test, and add a drop of the stannous chloride testing solution, it will show you if there is gold (or platinum or palladium) dissolved in the solution.

Dave

Okey. I will try in next week to do that, but just if there is some gold what is problem ? How do you resolve it.

You didn't answer my question about whether you had done anything to get rid of excess chlorine. If not, your gold may have been redissolved. Let's figure out if it's in solution first, then go from there.

Dave

The description you give of your solution losing its colour and then turning brown sounds like what little gold you had in solution has precipitated, you will know when you test it.
If you have no gold in your solution then it must still be with the original scrap, in one of your other processing containers or in one of your other solutions.
This is why we suggest strongly to all to test and then test again, as Harold one of the senior members said its your eyes in refining.
Do not panic if you haven't thrown anything away you still have your gold we just need to figure out where and in what form.

Guys you are great, I didnt expect that support. Thank you. I am trying to find tin powder to buy somewhere here. It is realy hard. is there some chemical name for tin powder ? Is that Tin (II) - chloride ?

madr said:
Guys you are great, I didnt expect that support. Thank you. I am trying to find tin powder to buy somewhere here. It is realy hard. is there some chemical name for tin powder ? Is that Tin (II) - chloride ?

Lead free plumbing solder contains mainly tin. Even regular lead type solder can be used to make the test solution.

Pewter also contains a high amount of tin and is quite common, but I would look for some type of hallmark on any piece I was thinking of cutting a chunk off of as some "cheap" pewter contains lead.

Led is not a problem, most of it precipitates as lead chloride if you got too much. It might form a crust, halting or slowing down dissolving of the tin though.

Göran

madr said:
Hey, thanks for reply. I will try to figure out how to send you photos. First I cleaned plates of connectors, chips and everything on it. Then I separated gold like always with AP bath. Then I get a lot of gold and a lot of green residue of the plastik. Then I just use muratic acid enough to cover acid and then adding bleach until all the gold were dissolved. I filtered that. I get one beautiful and a strong yellow solution. All of this I worked out, and its cold outside. Then I start to adding slowly smb (sodium metabisulfite) in solution and I get colorless solution, but like always I left it over the night, usualy when I wake up something happen, but now nothing, still colorless solution. In panic I add small mount of water, so solution is now weakest brown color just a little. I now, I need to read down book and everything, but I am doing this from april 2015 and I just need to finish this time. I am realy angry on myself for failing at the end. I invested a lot in this. And believe me it is realy hard to read and do everything if english isnt your mother language. I hope you will have patience with me and help me if you can. I will try to gentle heat solution? This is first time I am doing this on cold wheater. And realy thank you guys. Realy.

I don't see in your procedure that you heated the "strong yellow solution" to drive off the excess chlorine BEFORE trying to precipitate out your dissolved gold. Excess chlorine (from the bleach) will keep the SMB (Bonide Stump Out (home depot/Lowes)) from precipitating the gold out of your solution. As a nod to the others, it is important to test whether you have gold still in solution or not. Just to keep it real, I have heard some people say they don't bother to heat their solution to drive off the chlorine, instead they just add lots of SMB, which seems wasteful to me.

Latest posts

Back