colour of tetrachloroaurate (AuCl4)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traveller11

Sandspit, Queen Charlotte Islands, BC, Canada
It seems pretty well established that the colour of auric chloride (AuCl3) in solution is a golden brown colour. Does anyone know the colour of tetrachloroaurate (AuCl4) in solution? Many of the ancient mining articles typically referred to it as a "clear pregnant liquor". I have not been able to deduce just what exactly was meant by the word "clear".

Traveller11 said:
Does tetrachloroaurate resemble the golden brown of auric chloride in solution or is it clear? Unfortunately, the Wikipedia article did not state this.
Traveller11, the only reference I found in the article was,
When heated in air of solid HAuCl4•n H2O, it melts in the water of crystallization, quickly darkens and becomes dark brown.
I don't know if this is what you were looking for.
Ken

It's a golden yellow ranging to deep red-orange.

When anhydrous AuCl3 is produced and crystallized from an ether (i.e. THF or dioxane) it makes ruby red crystals. You can get fairly large ones if you vapor distill over hexane into the ether-gold complex. Quite pretty, look like the philosopher's stone.

This means the color is red shifted by the absence of water crystallization molecules
meaning higher energy is absorbed vs. HAuCl4.4H2O
Compare: CuSO4 colorless (blue shift to) CuSO4.5H2O blue

Latest posts

Back