Complete Silver Refining Process Video

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake Phelps,

Take down the videos, they are dangerous and most anyone besides a twelve year old with a science class dropout would know better than to watch it unless they were wanting entertainment of what not to do.

You have an excellent opportunity here as a new member of the forum to gain the education and understanding of precious metals, hidden from most men all through the history of recovery and refining of metals (especially the more valuable metals).

The crap everyone here is giving you is warranted, as what your doing now is extremely dangerous, to you and others, and your being defensive (I can understand) but it is only to try and wake you up, and actually help you.

Ego is a terrible thing it will put us in danger and then defend its own destruction of yourself (the ego poses to defend) let it go understand what an opportunity you have now, put away the acid for now realize you may not know it all, and take hold of an education that kings throughout history fought to have in their courts.

These guys and gals on the forum are great people willing to help you, but they also expect you to do your own homework (this is a vast field and no one person has all of the answers but together we make a team, there are several here that are scientist, professionals in the recovery and refining fields, miners, jewelers, (you name it). and some hobbyist that have spent years gaining a very good working knowledge many of whom may be able to teach the professionals new tricks.

You can gain the knowledge and understanding of not just some high school chemistry experiment of displacement reactions, you can actually become a working professional in the field, and do it safely...

Then your videos could be what they should have been or something you could actually be proud of and the forum could be proud of, not out of Ego, but because they would actually help others and you.

PUT up the ego and the chip on your shoulder and think it over.
If you decide it is something you really wish to do, as this is something that takes a lot to learn not everyone has what it takes, thousands may try it much like you did but most will not put in, what it takes to get a real reward back, the few who do are rewarded with not only truly refined metals and something they love to do, but an education that kings killed to get.

Put up the acids,(store them safely outside of your home) note: acids and chemicals can become extremely dangerous if stored the wrong way, certain chemicals should never be stored together...

Begin reading the safety section, and dealing with waste (do not pour anything more down the drain or in the ground, these acids and toxic metals can leach to everyone's water supply no matter how deep your well, city's drink what the town above them flushes. many of these chemicals could give the water treatment plants problems or worse harm people.

Jake sorry to have to say this, but you do not know nothing yet, about metals or acids or recovery and refining, you are dumb a a stick in that area, but you may be smarter than I am in many other areas, so think about it maybe we can do what this forum is all about.

Helping each other.
Before we can learn to do it right we all have to see where we are doing it wrong otherwise we can not or will not advance.

GSP is a professional in refining silver and other metals, and when it comes to silver, reading his posts will knock your socks off with what you could learn from him, many many members here have things they can help you with that will blow your mind when it comes to the metals,

Do not let a stupid Ego knock you out of the treasure map of understanding, take care of yourself, and educate yourself. forget the fools gold, learn where the real gold is...

I think we all need to back off.
And let Jake think about it, give him a chance to see if it his ego, or what is right, that he wishes to listen to, and decide if he truly wishes to learn this skill.

Think about it Jake.

After watching that video through I can only call it cringe-worthy. A lot of details have been pointed out by other members already and I will not rehash those points. But I noticed a couple of points that no one have mentioned yet. Written not just for you, but for anyone else watching that video.

- By not using chlorine free water you convert a lot of silver into silver chloride, adding to the losses. Someone mentioned it when you diluted the nitrate solution but you also create silver chloride while dissolving the coins and that ends up with the other crap that didn't dissolve.
It also creates silver chloride with your cemented silver and that went to the melting dish. Silver chloride creates toxic fumes when melting and you did it in your bedroom? :shock:

- The purity of the silver cement is not that great, when starting to melt the flame turns green. That is from copper still in the water when it boils.

- When shaking the copper coil the first time the silver floats to the surface... Why? Simple, there is still nitric acid that digests the silver that just cemented. So the cementation is giving off NOx gases in the same room you are sitting in.

- When filtering off the cemented silver it keeps bubbling, it still is dissolving slowly! Your filtrate is probably containing a lot of your silver.

The purity is probably better than 98% but not 999/1000. By cutting the cementation short when approximately 75% of the silver had cemented and having an excess of nitric still there you took out the first part of the cementation process which is more pure. The tail end of cementation is usually a lot more contaminated than the first part. This cost you a lot of silver.
Any refiner worth of the name could get almost all of the silver at a lot higher purity. It's all here on the forum.
You don't need to polish a pure silver bar.

Stick around and learn how to properly do this, who knows, you might like to learn some new tricks. But loose that attitude, it will get you banned in a whiff and then you have lost the huge amount of information that is here and the help available to anyone that sincerely wants it.

This thread is not closed unless a moderator says so.

Göran

Stumbled onto this thread while researching silver processes as "Complete silver refining process". I knew right when the lady held up the bottle of nitric to simply turn off the video. Been researching for quite some time now in the forum. Still having not done anything other than memory chips, but I could tell that safety was not at the forefront here in the video. This could spell disaster for someone that found the forum and lacked common sense just to find the link to this video and hurt themselves or others. Here this thread lies in wait for it's next "newbie" victim right in the Tutorial section where beginners look. May I suggest that the thread be relabeled, "how N O T to refine silver". Like I said, I'm still doing my own reading, learning and scavenging of materials to process prior to really going forward with anything other than "Gold fingers". So I still know very little, however even I find it odd (as a beginner) that it is still here. Just my 2 cents.

Back