Concentrated Sulfuric Stripping Cell - Anode basket material

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldgee35 said:
Are Mesh and a million holes "must haves" ???> Heres what I have already built on suggestion that I should use a Sulfuric Strippin Cell for a few fully coated pins ........

No, its not, but the black gold mud doesnt migrate far, especially id impeded, like 95% of yours will be. Also with a basket that big, you will experience a great deal of shielding from the pins closest to the cathode.

If you dont mind stirring the pins alllll the time, renewing your electrolyte often, and having a bunch of false finishes you'll be fine. But, the "false finishes" (current drop to zero) will cause the cell to heat up more than necessary.

Ive also come to find, with copper anode baskets, even the "proper" mesh, that some of the pins will end up with a black coating, which can rinse off then reveal a little bit more plating underneath. I bet with a truly proper rotating plating barrel it wouldnt be as much of an issue, if at all. I attribute it to electricities annoying attribute of following the path of least resistance and when most of the plating on one pin is gone, the current chooses a new path where the resistance is nil (or close to it).

Darn Ohm and Faraday, making all these laws that get in the way of my gold recovering! If they werent such a pain in the rear, Id use the sulfuric cell 99% of the time

anachronism said:
And when you put together that rig in a pyrex cooking jar are you really sure that you knew what kind of risks you were dealing with?

I'm just assembling some ideas I'm many steps from actually using it... these things take proper planning and sage advice :wink: :wink:
but uhmm pyrex worked for this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb6xPB6IHGA he seemed to have few if any probs.... ; Also can The Sulfuric acid Cell hurt ya if you respect it by using it safety? (use acid safe utensils, watch the temperature and use a catch bowl etc... )... right ?? ?

Topher_osAUrus said:
goldgee35 said:
Are Mesh and a million holes "must haves" ???> Heres what I have already built on suggestion that I should use a Sulfuric Strippin Cell for a few fully coated pins ........

No, its not, but the black gold mud doesnt migrate far, especially id impeded, like 95% of yours will be. Also with a basket that big, you will experience a great deal of shielding from the pins closest to the cathode.

If you dont mind stirring the pins alllll the time, renewing your electrolyte often, and having a bunch of false finishes you'll be fine. But, the "false finishes" (current drop to zero) will cause the cell to heat up more than necessary.

Ive also come to find, with copper anode baskets, even the "proper" mesh, that some of the pins will end up with a black coating, which can rinse off then reveal a little bit more plating underneath. I bet with a truly proper rotating plating barrel it wouldnt be as much of an issue, if at all. I attribute it to electricities annoying attribute of following the path of least resistance and when most of the plating on one pin is gone, the current chooses a new path where the resistance is nil (or close to it).

Darn Ohm and Faraday, making all these laws that get in the way of my gold recovering! If they werent such a pain in the rear, Id use the sulfuric cell 99% of the time

okay so maybe cutting the anode down and punching a lot more holes in it may help?????...

One point to remember about the sulfuric cell is that it needs to be sealed when not in use for a good reason, concentrated sulfuric is very water hungry and will absorb water from the atmosphere which means that the cell will not work efficiently unless you re concentrate it by heating it and hot concentrated sulfuric is not the nicest or safest to be around.
I would advise to have a deeper vessel to use and wear gloves and eye protection when using it, the cell works well if built and run correctly but you are using a very nasty acid so always exercise care when using it.

Latest posts

Back