copper cement

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosierdaddy

Ok I have about thirty pounds of cemented copper sitting in my shop. Been trying to find methods of smelting this stuff on the forum, but the information becomes jumbled. I just need a process to follow to make this stuff worth something. Thanks.

Just keep using it to cement more values as the cost of melting and the value to sell do not add up if you also take your time into account.
It can also be used to collect values when melting and put through a copper cell to recover them from the slimes.
The reality is use what you have and sell any good copper onwards as it will never be a paying proposition to melt and sell your cemented copper but it could save you a few dollars on buying more or allow the sale of any good scrap to the scrap yards.

Building a small foundry is easy as long as you have a space big enough to work in without disturbing neighbors with the sound and smoke. The flux for cemented copper is plain borax. It will not be pure copper as iron will cement other metals. You can cast the copper into bars to use for cementing values like Nick suggested or set up a copper sulfate parting cell. The latter would most likely be beneficial just for the experience unless you are getting many pounds at a time.

I've gotten in my head to setup small sand casting rig to do yard/garden art with copper and aluminum. Basically for practice and to learn, if it goes well enough I may try some small silver parts.

That's what I'd use the copper for, unless you had hundreds of pounds trying to purify and cast to bars for re-sell isn't going to pay for itself. Copper is what $2 per pound and that's for clean bright wire. That's only $60 after you spend all that time and gas in a furnace to melt and pour.

rickbb said:
I've gotten in my head to setup small sand casting rig to do yard/garden art with copper and aluminum. Basically for practice and to learn, if it goes well enough I may try some small silver parts.

That's what I'd use the copper for, unless you had hundreds of pounds trying to purify and cast to bars for re-sell isn't going to pay for itself. Copper is what $2 per pound and that's for clean bright wire. That's only $60 after you spend all that time and gas in a furnace to melt and pour.

As I said just reuse it and keep clean copper for sale no need to use the best use what you have :shock:

Thanks for the input. I was afraid cost would be an issue so I will stick to my original idea, and use some for future refining, and use the rest in my casting projects.

It might pay you to visit a few local,scrap yards and explain what you have and how you get it, you may find an offer to buy it as is as dirty copper scrap and if your lucky perhaps a new source of refinance materials :idea:

Latest posts

Back