copper chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why would you? it is re-usable as an etchant for base metals. add an air supply and it will dissolve more copper,nickel and iron. if you want to remove copper for waste purposes, scrap steel will cement the copper out of solution.

redneckdude said:
is there a material that I can use to cement out copper from copper chloride

Yes there is Aluminum. But before you put any in your copper chloride , you should read the safety section and Hoke´s book
you can download Hoke´s book for free there is a link in my signature.

When you put Aluminum in Copper Chloride the reaction will be exothermic and pretty violent. It will cook over if you put in to much.

Before you do this can you explain why you would like to do this ?
How much copper chloride you have ?

scm

squarecoinman said:
redneckdude said:
is there a material that I can use to cement out copper from copper chloride

Yes there is Aluminum. But before you put any in your copper chloride , you should read the safety section and Hoke´s book
you can download Hoke´s book for free there is a link in my signature.

When you put Aluminum in Copper Chloride the reaction will be exothermic and pretty violent. It will cook over if you put in to much.

Before you do this can you explain why you would like to do this ?
How much copper chloride you have ?

scm

yes, aluminum will also cement the copper out, but why use the more expensive metal when scrap steel works just as well even if a little slower. with steel, the reaction is much more subdued and very much less violent. aluminum is worth (on average) $.40 to $.70 per pound and scrap steel is around $.10 to $.12 per pound.

Steel or iron works but aluminum is much cleaner and usually doesn't leave any residue. Iron precipitates the copper but often doesnt all dissolve, then you need to use a magnet or something to clean your precipitate. If the aluminum reaction is too violent, just dilute the copper chloride solution with some water or add a little base salt like baking soda to nuetralize it first.

Latest posts

Back