copper I chloride?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis86

Ive had 21 game boards in my ap solution for about 32 hours now and the fingers still have some gold foil on them. The past 9 hours hasn't ended up in much change of the board stripping and had little copper flakes mixed with white powder on the bottom of my coffee pot. I searched the forums and found it to be copper I chloride. I started off with 2 cups of 32% hcl and 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a coffee pot for 21 boards. I figured that it wasn't enough solution to dissolve all the base metals and which is why my solution is saturated? I went ahead and added another cup of hcl and a half cup of peroxide to see if it would strip the rest of the boards. Was this the right thing to do?

No because it looks like little flakes of copper in the powder on the bottom. Since theres still some gold on the fingers theres a thin layer of copper under the gold on some of the boards im pretty sure. What about air? should I attach a air rater to the solution?

Nope not adding more so I dont dissolve all the gold I only added another half cup with a cup of hcl to keep my solution to a 2:1 ratio. So a future air setup would prevent this problem?

all you will need for your next batch is the solution you have now and an air pump for a fish tank and i find the blue bubble stones hold up best as long as you don't heat your solution. any gold you now have in solution will drop out as more copper goes into solution. when you finish this batch let everything settle and then pour as much liquid off as you can without pouring the solids out with it. put this green solution in another container for future use.put hot water on your powder and foils and bring to a boil for a few minutes. pour this liquid in another container and test with stannous chloride for the presence of gold. add a little fresh hcl to your foils to remove any left over copper and white powder. on your next batch use the green AP solution and a bubbler and dont add H2O2 to the solution, only air.

Did you get a bunch of Aluminum (capacitors), solder, & Tin mixed up with all of this?

Solder yes, capacitors no. I removed all chips and capacitors and transistors. The only thing that remained on these boards where a little bit of solder from these chips and trans, caps I removed. And thanks for the little bit of spoon feeding Geo, very much appreciated.

Turns out it wasn't copper chloride. After 56 hours my pcb's werestripped and I started filtering and the stuff on the bottom turned out to be a mixture of pieces of the mask and the solder itself. The solder didn't dissolve but came off the pcb's and settled on the bottom.

There are most likely flakes of Gold mixed in with that solder. Don't throw it away.

I didn't. I filtered and put my ap solution in a container so I can use it again later. I then poured hot hcl on the foils and solder and mask pieces to clean it up a little then filtered. I put the black powder, gold foils, solder and pieces of the mask in a hcl clorox solution. Im going to filter it the aucl to get the solder and mask pieces out and let the aucl sit for several hours to kill off some of the chlorine then drop in smb. Did I do the right thing?

Yes Geo thats what I meant. I know its takes along time. From my first attempt I had to let it sit for over 24 hours if I recall (Used too much bleach) But I went easy on the bleach this time and have a beautiful golden aucl sitting outside

No its in a glass beaker with a coffee filter over the top so outside stuff doesn't land in it. I have it sitting on a table on my deck to vent

what if, lets say a neighborhood child was throwing rocks or shooting a BB gun. unlikely i know,but what if and your flask broke while you wasnt looking or even worse while you were looking. and all your work so far would pour out onto the table and then off on the ground to be lost forever. you may want to put the flask in a plastic bin,tub, or large bowl.

Check that black stuff!!!!

I'm just interested in something here. Would you take some of the black powder from your filter residues and dry it out? See if it turns purple after it is dry. I've been running processes with hcl/clorox and this mystery black substance robbed me. I'm just wondering if this is a reoccurring problem that maybe some of us may be missing in some way. Thanks.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11596&p=114092&hilit=i+got+robbed#p113446

Thanks for the tip Geo. Im going to buy some more stuff next Walmart trip. Ill get buckets and fishtank aerator and pans and what not. And i'll let you know PAlladium what I come up with for the black stuff. Do you Use the ap method as well?

Latest posts

Back