copper nitrate refining cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

While searching the web I came across mention of a gold refining cell that is supposed to leave your pure gold in a anode bag, use coppernitrate with small amount of nitric acid for the eletrolyte, and is supposed to plate the silver out on the cathode. This is supposed to be used for karat gold or gold inquarted woth silver.

Has anyone here had any experience with something like this? The article I was reading only mebtions the process as I have posted, need to know voltages and if the gold and silver would be up to standard from a process like this.

Thanks
Jim

Please post the link.

It sounds exactly like a standard silver cell. I've always thought that a silver cell could be used to remove the inquarted silver used to refine karat gold.

This sounds like a standard silver cell, however I would think that karat gold would have the same difficulties in this cell as it would inquarting in nitric. If you reduced the purity of the gold the same as you would for standard inquartation I imagine it would work. But I wonder what you would gain using a cell instead unless you had 95% silver and you main goal was the purification of the silver yet saving the trace amounts of gold in the process.

Trace amounts of gold is always collected in the cloth filter in a silver cell. It's purpose is not only to purify silver. It is used to part silver from gold, with no loss of gold.

You would most probably have to inquart so that the gold is 25%, or less, just as in normal inquartation using acids.

Sorry I don't have a link and there was not any more info in the article thank I posted. The article was about using ammonium chloride as an electrolyte to seperate inquarted and karat gold. The article said this was to keep the silver chloride from forming a precipate.

So I did not get the feeling that the purpose was to refine the silver in the coppernitrate cell, I think the parted silver was just an added benefit.

Jim

I remember it starting out like that, but I could not follow the link since I won't enable java on my phone.

My computer is in AP right now and I haven't had the time to get a new one.

Jim

Almost all gold patents involving ammonium chloride are Peter Shor's. I've always thought that his Simplicity refining machine has gotten a bum rap on this forum. I know it's expensive, and that you're held hostage to pay high prices for his "proprietary" chemicals, but it's a very interesting process. One of the most interesting things is that, although chlorides are present, the silver forms a complex, stays in solution, and doesn't precipitate as silver chloride.

BTW, qst, that patentsurf.net is great. Thanks for turning us onto it.

goldsilverpro said:
Almost all gold patents involving ammonium chloride are Peter Shor's. I've always thought that his Simplicity refining machine has gotten a bum rap on this forum. I know it's expensive, and that you're held hostage to pay high prices for his "proprietary" chemicals, but it's a very interesting process. One of the most interesting things is that, although chlorides are present, the silver forms a complex, stays in solution, and doesn't precipitate as silver chloride.

BTW, qst, that patentsurf.net is great. Thanks for turning us onto it.

I think the shor process is very interesting and have studied it myself. The science is good. I just don't care for their pricing myself. :wink:

Another interesting process i find interesting is the plattner process for ores. :wink:

Latest posts

Back