Copper problems?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brjook

I got some clean unpopulated circiut boards with gold foils on them and got the bright idea to flash them with HCL\CL.After about 10 minute the solution started to get a little green tint to it.I removed the boards and then tried to drop the solution.When i added SMB it just became a light brown\yellow color and lost all the green with no precip.I tested with stannous and had a very positive indication of gold in the solution but cannot get it to drop out .
How do i remove the gold from 2 quarts of gold containing solution and what did i do wrong.I processed the boards in AP and got my gold foils and dissolved in HCL\Cl and got it to drop the gold with SMB.But was a small amout due to the previouse removal of a good precentage of the gold with my bright idea.
What do i neeed to do to recover the gold from the solutions ?And i know before ya'll say it "Should have stuck to proven procedures" but new to this and had to experiment a little .

You possibly put too much chlorox in the solution and it is redissolving your gold. Either heat the solution to drive off the chlorine with out bringing to a boil or set it out in the sun and let nature take it course and then drop your gold. Go easy on the SMB, if you use too much it will drop out your copper and you will have to run it thru your process again.

I did heat the solution but didn't help .Maybe didn't heat it long enough.Didn't use to much clorox i don't think.

Light green means the dissolution was not enough. Could the
fingers change color and not dissolve?

heated a testbatch for a long time .Added water became somewhat clear and added SMB and the solution became the light brown \yellow color again.
What gives.I got a fair amount of gold in solution and unable to recover.

brjook said:
heated a testbatch for a long time .Added water became somewhat clear and added SMB and the solution became the light brown \yellow color again.
What gives.I got a fair amount of gold in solution and unable to recover.

If it refuses to cement out put a sheet of copper in the solution and cement the gold and then start over and be careful on how much clorox you use.

Latest posts

Back