Copper Test Strips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

I was considering getting some of these test strips to use to measure copper content of silver chloride washes.

http://www.emdmillipore.com/chemicals/em-quant-copper-test-strips/EMD_CHEM-10003/p_GQqb.s1LLa0AAAEWiOIfVhTl;sid=ovbCp_bcheTXp6beyPmu8F4cJXXQV5x7mtjc8UVxT2vQX3hSjhahDfDita1PGsLKQMbSu_UFX87roH8VAHItvqQqgwLb4zoMkWx6hk7FfBfqfToMkWzjU--Y

These seem expensive at about $0.65 each (with shipping).

Does anyone have any experience with using these and are there any less expensive examples out there?

Thank you - kadriver

If you take a sample from your copper bearing washes and add ammonia to it, it will turn royal blue.
Eyeballing the color differences of each wash may help you determine how far along are you with your cleaning.

I would do what Sam suggested. It's a very sensitive test. I usually do it with a few ml in a test tube and then view it in front of a piece of bright white printing paper, with good lighting.

In any case, the test papers you gave the link for are no longer available.

Ammonia added to the wash water - I have some 29% ammonia.

I will give this test a try. I don't remember reading about this test in Hoke.

Thank you both.

kadriver

GSP has mentioned the use of ammonia to test for copper in the silver solution several times,the blue color is a great indicator, the test works great.

See page 99 in Hoke's.
I like page 100 also for iron in solution.

You just need enough ammonia (a few drops, usually, unless the rinse still has a lot of acid in it) to make the sample of rinse water ammoniacal. If unsure, smell it (carefully). For added accuracy, put some distilled water in a second test tube (best) or second beaker and compare the two against the white paper, side by side.

I do this mainly when rinsing silver crystal on the last rinse(s). If there's any blue at all, I keep rinsing. I rarely do it for silver chloride since it's very difficult to completely rinse and, after converting, it all goes through the silver cell. With AgCl, I just rinse 4 or 5 times and forget it.

I will use this test today as I have a batch of silver chloride to process.

Using a sample of distilled water for comparison.

Thank you for saving me some money - kadriver

Butcher, thanks for the page number - I found it and remember reading this.

But I did not put it with testing the rinse water from silver chloride.

I have used thiocyanate to test for iron - the color is blood red an it actually looks like real blood.

kadriver

Latest posts

Back