Copperas goes wrong........

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp.hacene

hello dear friends, back again............. :D
Like i said in my last post , i was recheck my solution for gold so i made some copperas crystal , thing goes well until i dissolve the green crystals in hot water to filter it ,while i am boiling it i end up with white salt rather than green crystal....
i guess it was that made a white crystal when i was trying to percipitate my gold from the solution in previous :evil: ....what do you think ?

I think you should start reading hokes book, inthere is very well explained how to test solutions for gold.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Che2-L11 met Tapatalk

Can you give the exact process you made your copperas from. From the type of steel you used ( where it came from, trans former , motor steel or other type). How you got it to the crystal state. Make as in depth of a write up as possible. Did you try to use your crystals shortly after you made them or had they say for a period of time before you tried to use them. This would help in answering your questions and finding your problem.

Also it is not a good idea to boil your solution. You just need to warm it up to evaporate it down.

imp.hacene said:
goes well until i dissolve the green crystals in hot water to filter it ,while i am boiling it i end up with white salt rather than green crystal....
i guess it was that made a white crystal when i was trying to percipitate my gold from the solution in previous :evil: ....what do you think ?

What?!??

I think we need a lot more details...a LOT more. Barren asked some good ones. And please try to be grammatically correct as possible. It's very hard to understand, I can only imagine how poorly that translates for some people whom do not speak english natively.

Ook, and sorry for language...for more detail i was made my copperas from trans former iron mixed it with half battery acid and half distilled water after night i got the crystal , so directly i dissolve the crystal in hot distilled water after boiling it .....i got a white salt instead of green crystal....what am i doing wrong ?

When I make copperous, I also get the white salt in limited amounts as a residual that clings to the soft iron that was dissolving. I think your problem was when you boiled the copperous to dissolve the normally pastel colored greenish crystals. When making copperous, I usually filter it when it is hot, and I replace the fiberglass plug that I use as a filter media frequently. The only time I get the whitish salt is when I use a bit too much sulfuric and not enough water. To make copperous, you don't need as much sulfuric acid as it appears you are using.

So, if you filter the bluish greenish fresh copperous solution when it is warm/hot from making it, then when you need to use it, you just dissolve the crystals in hot water. No problems.

I hope I comprehended your problem correctly. If not, then I am not sure I can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(III)_sulfate
Fe+3 Sulfate is created by dissolving the Iron in contact with Air (Oxygen)
You want Fe+2 Sulfate to precipitate Gold. Keep Air away from the Solution.

Irons...you're genius , i believe when i add the bleach to HCL i was stirring with thin bottle and that's what brings the air to my solution and cause Fe+3 Sulfate( white salt) , would you suggest to add hydrogen peroxide or pump air.............?

I'm confused what you are wanting to do. HCl + bleach is for putting gold into solution. Copperas is for getting it out again. These aren't done at the same time. And air pump? No. These should be unrelated.

Once you have your gold in a stable solution, after any excess chlorine from the bleach has been expelled by heat or time, then you can add the copperas to precipitate your gold.

Here's everything you need to know about making copperas. It really is an easy recipe to follow. If in doubt, err on the side of less acid rather than more. Patience gets the job done.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14026

well here is the thing.....Irons was mentioned that the cause of the white salt (Fe+3 Sulfate) when i'd tried to melt the green crystal to make clear copperas was the oxygen and i believe the white salt that was formed in my solution ( poor AR ) when i'd add the copperas is also from the oxygen ,although it stay for couple days to get the excess of clorine out....
so how to avoid the oxygen when i'll try to make copperas for my next time ?

This keeps getting more and more confusing by the post..

Hcl bleach?
Then poor man ar?
Melting copperas?

If you really did use poor man ar and you got a white salt at the bottom, that's really to be expected, as the metal nitrate salts have other junk in them.

But, still, I think a clear, and concise step by step of what you did is the only way we can help you.. That along with some pictures.

Dissolve the copperas crystals in warm water. Wait until all the crystals dissolve that will dissolve. Filter the solution and use the filtered solution to precipitate your gold.

Latest posts

Back