Could AP be used to make stannous chloride?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyA

It occurred to me that AP could be used to dissolve lead-free solder without heat. Anyone else tried this. Seems like it would work.

You don't need "AP", just the "A".

Stannous chloride is made by dissolving tin (lead free solder is one source) in hydrochloric acid (HCl). You don't need the peroxide, just the acid.

Dave

Thanks for the post. When I tried making stannous chloride before, I used lead-free solder. I flattened just over 2 grams then cut the strip into small pieces. I added hcl with a brief heating to start the reaction. I never felt like the solder would dissolve so I kept adding the brief heat. I finally gave up and tested on pregnant solution with marginal results. I know that peroxide will start a reaction similar to the heating. I even thought it may not require the need to flatten and cult into small pieces. If no one else has tried it I guess I can be the first.

TommyA said:
Thanks for the post. When I tried making stannous chloride before, I used lead-free solder. I flattened just over 2 grams then cut the strip into small pieces. I added hcl with a brief heating to start the reaction. I never felt like the solder would dissolve so I kept adding the brief heat. I finally gave up and tested on pregnant solution with marginal results. I know that peroxide will start a reaction similar to the heating. I even thought it may not require the need to flatten and cult into small pieces. If no one else has tried it I guess I can be the first.

Interesting, I don't cut my tin into pieces at all, I just use the sinkers that I find at Walmart. Warm HCl and off I go!

Thanks I'm switching to sinkers. My difficulty, my guess, could have been with solder core.

Latest posts

Back