CPU Overview - Gold in the Chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a single unit then it might have more to do with its value as a collectable, as many people collect CPUs and chips. If it's a large lot then probably either someone who knows something everyone else doesn't or (more likely) someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

If it helps there is .1 gram to .5 grams of gold in all of the cpu,s you listed.Pen Pro,s are concidered a heavyweight at .434 grams each.Thats all after refining as pure weights.Thats as good as I can do.It all adds up.

Speculation may be a contributing factor on the eBay bidding as well. If you believe that gold will hit $2500/oz. in the near future you may be willing to pay more for scrap.

the foll link can help u with the goold content in the different processors..it givs an approximate estimation
http://www.scribd.com/doc/28911037/Gold-Content-List-in-CPU-Chips

sohailsgupta said:
the foll link can help u with the goold content in the different processors..it givs an approximate estimation

That is a spread sheet that I found some where here on the forum and posted a few times. The data on the sheet is not confirmed. You should do your own yield data for your own processes.

sohailsgupta said:

Data for a lot of CPUs in this table is overestimated, especially for Pentium Pro.

Renaldas said:
sohailsgupta said:

Data for a lot of CPUs in this table is overestimated, especially for Pentium Pro.

As BarrenRealms 007 stated, he merely posted this table here after he found it elsewhere, he didn't create it.
He & everyone who has referred to it states that these yields are likely exaggerated.
I believe one of the senior members stated recently that this table could have been
planted where we would find it by one of those unethical ebayers to try to get us to
buy his over-priced CPUs.

I finished this post after dtectr posted his reply,I want my reply read as well,but I am aware of what dtectr wrote.

That CPU yield list has been discussed several times on the forum,and is not accurate.Not even close.I would not even suggest using it as a rough estimate.I would love to post all of my yield findings,but I don't for 2 reasons,first and foremost,I do not process gold for my health or because I have extra time and it is fun.I do it for gold and money plain and simple.I do not mind helping others learn the correct way to process,but that is as far as I go.The more information people know about the gold content in items,the more competition there will be when it comes to buying things.
Secondly,I do not want my yield results critiqued.The results I have are consistent batch after batch and that is just fine with me.I know what I can pay for something and still make a profit after chemicals.

wrecker45 said:
why not do a batch of mixed cpus and have a ballpark amount of grams of gold per lb of cpus
The problem with that is there are so many 100's of different kinds of cpu's and manufacturers,and as if thats not enough,the gold content is not always the same,for the same two make/model chips.Sticking with the same make/model you can get an accurate estimate.I wish I had the time to process one pound of each kind of chips.

Hey,

How long does it take to process one chip (processor) for gold. Does anyone know.

Jon

There are too many variables to answer that correctly.If you had a small chip grinder and some mercury,you could have a 24k button in about an hour,if you rushed.However most people don't have access to grinders,they use mills.And most people don't have mercury,they use acid,or cyanide.In the case of acid,there are several different acids and countless different methods to choose.So for an accurate answer we would need to know exactly each method used to process that cpu,but just to give you an estimate,it could take anywhere from a couple of hours,to a couple of days.

JJH said:
Hey,

How long does it take to process one chip (processor) for gold. Does anyone know.

Jon

I don't know if it would be feasible to do so. You then would be producing a small grain of less than a gram. It would be safer to do 5-10 every time.

GrailSeeker said:
I don't know if it would be feasible to do so.
It is difficult unless you have the correct equipment.
Some of the smallest batches we process are still over 10 pounds.

Thanks,

I'll back out of that awkward, bordering on lazy question. I will find out for myself and keep good notes.

One quick question though. In reading about the different acid methods would you say there would be any advantage with having the processors, chips.....etc. broken or ground....or finly ground. Machine shops work is very cheap here. Once built there would be no difference in time between the grinding processes.

Jon

I buy processed ceramic chips for $5 per pound plus shipping,unless thay are all amd's then it's $4 per pound.

Processing the powder is not as easy as the unbroken chips.The filter process is difficult at best.

If you,or anyone else,is interested in selling me your processed chips just send me a PM.

Does anyone know if the electroplated gold contained in cpu processors are 9k,10k,14k,18k,22k,24k (pre-refined)? Also does the gold karat in processors vary depending on type of cpu processor?

Back