Damaged AP solution.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilroy2k1

Hello,
Long time lurker and short time processor here, I've just recently started to get my feet wet with the processes at hand here but I've run into something unusual with my AP solution and I believe I caused it.
I have been processing close cut fingers quite well until this last small batch. I had a handful of fingers in about 1L of AP solution and it was going well until I found a stray plated pin on the floor, trimmed and solder free, looked to be from a vga or lpt socket and thought for giggles I'll put in in the in progress AP solution.
There was no odd reaction that I noticed shortly after putting it in but I noticed the next day the AP seemed to really slow down on finishing up the fingers that were soaking, slowed to a crawl really. After that I also noticed when I agitate the solution it would form bubbles on the surface as if there was dish soap in it and the solution seems a bit thicker in consistency, the foils in solution didn't swirl around when agitated like they did the previous day. The AP solution colour is a blueish green, maybe a bit more blue then normal.
Any ideas what could be happening or what contaminate I may have introduced?
Any way to recover this or should I cement everything out and start a new batch?

Thanks
Tom.

if the metal you added was iron based, it would have cemented the copper from your solution. was it just one pin or an array of pins?

Hi Geo,
It was only one pin and non magnetic, there also was no excess of powder in the solution when I filtered out the foils.

Latest posts

Back