dark green/black A/P

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme2

I have been reading for over a year. I just started in earnest 2 weeks ago. Starting as a beginner with fingers from memory and finger cards.

I am a second tier E scrap buyer and usually buy about 600 to 1000 lbs a month. With PM prices down but scrap Prices up I am trying to up my bottom line.

I started with 500g trimmed fingers and now am on my second 500+ grams.
got the strainer bucket and added a bubbler . The first batch yielded 2.9g of unwashed foils. The second batch looks like it will be about the same.

I am far enough along in the process I now have pertinent questions.

I have read hundreds of threads and responses on the forum and I realize to be even half way confident I need to read thousands more. have read Hoke's book twice and have referenced it several times. I am still not clear on the wash/rinse process.

Am I correct with 2 washes in HCL heating each to boil for 15 min followed by a water wash boiling for 15 min.

second question: My stock pot is getting pretty dark, dark emerald to black, I run a sufficient bubbler so the oxygen level should be ok. what , if any thing can I do about this.

I have read the answers to both questions but, like a newbe didn't write it down and now can't find either answer. Could some one point me in the right direction. I have tried to access Steve's video but can't seem to get to it.

I have been a long time member of SMF and have often referred to it as a degree in scrap metal. This forum with it's information, I must refer to as a PHD in PMs. Thank you all for the valuable info on this forum. Several of you I know and respect from SMF, others of you I don't know but the respect is extended to you as well, after just my relatively short time here.

I am by far no expert, but when washing, run as many washes as it takes for your hcl to come away as clear as it was when you put it in. Do a forum search for Harold's washing process. It works.

Hi! and welcome.
I assume that you are talking about washing the foils that you recovered. just store them in alittle HCl with a spoone full of your ap solution. the fiols came off the boards because the copper chloride dissolved the copper under the foils to release them, but there could be some trace of copper and the nickel flash coat sill on the backs of the foils. That will continue to clean your gold.
Then, when you are ready to refine the gold give the foils and any powder that is with them a rinse with water. ( some of the powder can be gold)
Harold's wash proceedure is for cleaning contaminents from the gold powder after you drop it from solution durring refining and before you melt it. You'll be doing that later.
Good luck! Wanna see your button.
artart47

I have yet to find my mountain of E-scrap but the little hills I have, I've rinsed the foils in warm water untill clear. Then cover with fresh HCL and a spoon full or so of AP solution and let sit for a day or 5, untill I run impatient. Then I rinse with HCL and then several with water. The fresh HCL goes into my AP to use.
While rinsing with water, I stir well and let just the foils settle and pour off the mud still floating. The foils sit in a small container next to my mouse for encouragement. And the mud went into batches of HCL + chlorox. The mud goes in when I'm done dissolving and want to expend the solution for dropping.

It works for me as I have something shiny here and mud to dissolve toward my first button. I get tons more of gold rimmed n trimmed glass ware then I do E-scrap so it works.

O...and your stock pot is not the AP pot. Don't confuse us all. AP with air bubbling... When you meet copper(1), and you'll know by green goock, it's time to add more HCL.

The stock pot is spent solution to be processed before it becomes the elephant.

B.S.

Pantherlikher said:
(snip)

B.S.
As a slight correction we need to add "that might contain values" so it reads;
""The stock pot is spent solution, that might contain values, to be processed before it becomes the elephant. 8)

No need to place "value-less" solutions in the stock pot. Just send them straight to proper disposal. 8)

Pantherlikher said:
I have yet to find my mountain of E-scrap but the little hills I have, I've rinsed the foils in warm water untill clear. Then cover with fresh HCL and a spoon full or so of AP solution and let sit for a day or 5, untill I run impatient. Then I rinse with HCL and then several with water. The fresh HCL goes into my AP to use.
While rinsing with water, I stir well and let just the foils settle and pour off the mud still floating. The foils sit in a small container next to my mouse for encouragement. And the mud went into batches of HCL + chlorox. The mud goes in when I'm done dissolving and want to expend the solution for dropping.

It works for me as I have something shiny here and mud to dissolve toward my first button. I get tons more of gold rimmed n trimmed glass ware then I do E-scrap so it works.

O...and your stock pot is not the AP pot. Don't confuse us all. AP with air bubbling... When you meet copper(1), and you'll know by green goock, it's time to add more HCL.

B.S.

Can't believe I shipped over 14,000 lbs of Telcom and server boards last year. To make it worse most were military grade from my biggest customer. I am now having flashbacks from some of those telcom boards with 14 inches of fingers and literally covered end to end top to bottom with IC chips. :oops:

Hind site generally Kicks you in the arse :lol:
Back in 2006 I sold over 5 pounds of gold when the prices skyrocketed over $600 an oz. :roll:
Need I say more :mrgreen:

Hindsight stinks. My path to refining started in 1994. While doing a job I ran across over 500 of the Intel 486 processors. I knew what they contained but after two years of not being able to find information on refining them, I sold them. All of them for $25.

Latest posts

Back