deleted

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
au-artifax said:
...I will be posting in the future how I make my 1.51 WFNA without a retort, without a vacuum, without water, without electric arcs, just three chemicals and three stores. Cost runs between $30-45/lt after making the rig.

You can easily buy high purity 68-70% nitric acid for less than $10 a gallon (~$2.60 per liter) in bulk quantities. Unless you are in a region where the laws prohibit such purchases, I see no reason for anyone to have to manufacturer nitric acid themselves unless it is for educational purposes or for use in small scale experiments.

For purely academic reasons, I for one would like to see your post on making nitric acid, but from a practical stand point, you are better off just buying high grade nitric acid from a company that manufactures nitric acid.

Steve

butcher said:
Nitric acid Has an azeotrope of 68% to 70%, nitric acid if made with some water involved in the acid or reaction will make nitric acid of a strength of the acid/water involved, so if you were making nitric with sulfuric acid, diluting your sulfuric acid to about 70% will make close to 70% HNO3 (for safety we always add water to concentrated sulfuric acid),depending on which nitrate source you use, sodium or potassium can also have an effect on how much water you would wish to add, when distilling it is best to have a little more acid and water, so at the end of distilling you are not cooking salts in your distilling rig.
I know what you mean but the way you have written it could be mistaken by someone not knowing better. Just want to add that...
You should always pour concentrated sulfuric acid into water, not the other way around.

And butcher... that's one long sentence! :lol:

Göran

Thank you Göran,
I was thinking of pouring the acid into water to dilute it, but somehow I did write that wrong, or backwards, I am glad you caught it.

I will also try not to make long sentences. :lol:

lazersteve said:
au-artifax said:
...I will be posting in the future how I make my 1.51 WFNA without a retort, without a vacuum, without water, without electric arcs, just three chemicals and three stores. Cost runs between $30-45/lt after making the rig.

You can easily buy high purity 68-70% nitric acid for less than $10 a gallon (~$2.60 per liter) in bulk quantities. Unless you are in a region where the laws prohibit such purchases, I see no reason for anyone to have to manufacturer nitric acid themselves unless it is for educational purposes or for use in small scale experiments.

For purely academic reasons, I for one would like to see your post on making nitric acid, but from a practical stand point, you are better off just buying high grade nitric acid from a company that manufactures nitric acid.

Steve

Thank you Steve... so true, and frankly I use your cold recipe for on demand uses for refining. Because of my other hobby which is upscale model rocketry, I have need of the more pure hno3, which IF I were to have a permit and licensing, (meet all the federal storage, safety, inventory, security etc regulations set forth by EPA, ATFE, DHS etc..), and were to purchase the same product, one liter would cost upwards of $1500.00 per liter.

I do not have the means, like so many like me, to go buy a regulated chemical in bulk, and of course this is why home recipe methods are so popular. But even at my best, doing small batches still cost more than how you buy it jn bulk; productiin cost for me to make 68% would be $18-20 per liter.

It depends on what, when, why, and how much you need to establish if something is of value, and the most important thing we alllll know, value is a product of supply and demand.

I have started to work with some fabricators to make interchangable parts for my process. The whole rig should be able to be assembled for somewhere between $85-110, with readily available parts. The only exception is that I am trying to fabricate the quick join connectors that will increase the service span of the rig tenfold.

The connections are the key, as this is a pressurized rig, not relying on vaccuum. In any case, tack another $7 on the cost of the pure wfna for the rig.

And after all my blathering, I am above all greatfull for you be generous with you vast knowledge. My focus is so limited, that without this forum, I would be makin so many huge mistakes, even after my studying.
As always, I am open to suggestions.

Thank you all for your guidance in the past.

Back