Dental gold seems to be not gold ...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hfywc said:
i dont have stannous...but if there's gold, there should be some gold precipitate considering i dissolved 4grams of material in ar...

Just because you dissolved it dosen't mean it will come back out. Get you some 95/5 plumbers solder and some HCL and make you some stannous. It is easy to do and will save you a lot of guessing, money and time.

hi barren and all.

here is the results....the swab on the left is from the one in question and on the right is from the light green solution where i successfully precipitated gold. what do you think?

Attachments

• DSCF0687.JPG
    DSCF0687.JPG
    2 MB
  • DSCF0686.JPG
    DSCF0686.JPG
    2 MB
The one on the left from the dental gold looks to be barren (pardon the pun) or any PM's like you thought it was. The one on the right still looks like it has some values in it. Probably because you still might have nitric in your solution that redissolved your gold. Either get you some urea and get the nitric out or evaporate the solution down to a syrup and add HCL, repeat this 3 times and then drop your gold. I use urea I find it faster to complete the job, warm your solution up befoe you use it. Or you can add some more SMB and let the gold dissolve till the nitric is gone but I don't recomend that because you can overload you solution with SMB and cause other problems.

Hope that helps.

i already killed the excess nitric on the second one. i only used minimal nitric and i added another dental scrap piece which didn't get totally dissolved while heating the solution.
what i suspect is there is platinum in the solution based on the color of the test. i already ordered ammonium chloride but since it 's a long weekend holidays, it's gonna take a while before i receive it.

this concludes this verification process...thanks to you barren and to all for your patience and help.

Happy turkey day to all who celebrates it!

alan

Latest posts

Back