Dental Scrap - Not Dissolving Fully

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lisa there are a few members from the UK some actively refining others just collecting, sorting and selling the values from various scraps.
Butcher has explained the inquarting process very well and in honesty it probably is the easiest route to follow as many alloys contain silver which help pay for the chemicals and consumables over time.
Were it me I would try easier materials in small quantities such as carat scrap to get familiar with the processes and then try your dental scrap, I hope your buying carefully as there are many dental alloys that contain no values.
If I was doing this I'd concentrate on recovering and refining your gold using inquartation and then use cementation to recover the other values, make a small silver cell to refine the silver leaving the PGMs and any gold in the slimes which I would dry, melt and assay and sell as is. PGM refining is quite complex and in honesty here not worth the effort as you will get little to no more money for your efforts
To give you an idea of the dental alloys google Charles Booth Dental and you get a breakdown of some of the dental alloys around at present.
Hope this helps and good luck and be safe.

Hey you guys ...

I am now the proud owner of a fume hood, will need new filters apparently but bit by bit, gotta read up about those scrubbers,now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-top-fume-cabinet-/111296319821?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AGB%3A3160&item=111296319821&nma=true&si=%252FqiPsJQ9OPZCaPorCoSrXlfwZU4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like you got it for a good price as well 8)
Any visible metal inside needs to be cleaned real good and painted with an acid resistant epoxy. include the exhaust system and fan if it is not plastic.

Thanks for the tips, it hasn't arrived yet and even then - I've got to sort through that 'scrubber' info, before I can get going. :cry:
Probably was a good price, compared to what they go for new, but I'm skint now....

I displaced the dissolved ions, with a large disk of copper, having a large surface area into the solution. The copper instantly turned black and much black material has cemented to it. I periodically brushed this off and back into solution and more and more black values, are being attracted to the copper sheet.

Currently I am straining this through coffee filters, the whole process is quite slow going, and I definitely will filter again, because there is a lot of particulate that has not been picked up by the filters. The material is heavy and there is what seems to me, as a large quantity in the solution which has been cemented out. What should I do with it, to process it further? Currently - I'm just putting it, in a jar. The reason, I am asking is that I don't want to clean it with something that will interfere with its chemistry later?

Any PM's and PGM's in solution are slow to cement out with copper.
When I needed to do this, I left the copper in for a week to be sure I removed all my values from solution.
Save everything that cements out of the solution, as in all powders cemented.
No need to filter anything. Just let the copper do its job and save the copper and all powders that falls to the bottom. Then carefully, with-out stirring the settled powders, remove the spent liquid solution. Treat the solution and discard.
Collect all the cemented powders along with the piece of copper and store them in a glass container with a loose fitting lid in case of any out-gassing
The values will store this way, for as long as it takes for you to learn how to finish working them.
Hope this helps.

Thank you - Yes definately they can sit in the container for a bit, as I have 'Sooooo much' reading to do. My next mission is to try and understand and create a fume scrubber. Thanks, again.

Here's a simple set-up that can easily be enlarged to any size needed to handle your operation 8)

Attachments

• Scrubber set-up.JPG
    Scrubber set-up.JPG
    1.4 MB
Thanks for the pic - a picture says a thousand words, and that looks simple enough - I can do that :p

As for the other links, I will go through them all and get a better understanding, thank you for those, I will check them all out. :)

Latest posts

Back