Did not dilute my SMB drop.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am inclined to think you should have incinerated only the recovered values, prior to dissolution. That's why I mentioned that it's easy to lose the foils, and care should be exercised when using oxygen. When entire boards are incinerated, the resulting problems are not offset by the gains. That would not be true if you could incinerate then melt, at which time the boards would be eliminated as slag. They are, after all, just glass, but bonded with epoxy resin.

I suggest you process to remove the values from the boards, then incinerate the much reduced volume by the method I proposed. That will eliminate the small traces of substances that are remaining. I think you'll appreciate the much reduced smoke and fumes.

A shallow container tends to be more useful, for it allows better breathing. That's why I suggested one of those small stainless pans. You can achieve success with the one you used, however. I used to play my oxy/natural gas torch on the bottom of my pan to raise the temperature to a dull red. No reason you can't do the same thing with yours, assuming you have a generous oxygen supply. I used to use one of the large oxygen bottles (100 + cubic feet of oxygen).

Harold

Harold, thank you so much for getting me started down this path. What you have suggested, seems made to order for another job I have planned. I have about 300 grams of Gold Filled watch band caps, just the caps. The problem with them is they are "filthy" with grime from body sweat, and whatever. When I get ready to process them, the FIRST order of the day will be INCINERATION. By the way, I decided to do another batch of the small boards in the pictures. Here is what I did this time: I put the whole hot-plate setup inside an old Weber bar-b-que out in the back. I turned the power on, then put the lid on with the ventilation vents closed. After smoke started seeping out around the edges, I waited a couple of minutes then killed the power. After the setup cooled down, I was very pleased. The units were "roasted" black. I can easily lift all the Gold fingers/paths off the boards on both sides plus the white silk/screen lettering is gone. Incineration has eliminated TWO problems for me with these boards. The silk/screen crap is gone AND these units will not have to be treated with Acid/Peroxide to recover the Gold. A little dirty work is involved having to handle the charred boards and peeling the Gold off, but what the heck, I'm retired. My next order of business will be ordering a mini-furnace from Steve. I am beginning to glimpse a first Gold button in my future. You can definitely count me in the "burn-baby-burn" column.

I'm well encouraged to see you experimenting with what you have at your disposal. I had a given system that worked very well for me, but it took years to create and assemble the equipment. Key here is that you gain the necessary understanding, so you can apply the principals involved by means within your reach. I get the idea that's exactly what you're doing.

Don't expect a huge amount of gold, but you must recover the first grain in order to accumulate an ounce. It comes slowly at first, but, with luck, will gain momentum. It's one hell of a thrill to precipitate, wash, then melt your first button. I wish you well in that regard. Be certain to share with us the results you achieve.

Harold

Harold, thanks for the encouraging words. In this day of instant information via the internet, we newbees are indeed privileged to have highly experienced folks such as yourself willing to extend a helping hand. I also appreciate your reminder as to the amount of product that will likely be produced. If I am able to create even a tiny Golden ball (high quality) and not foul my nest in the process, then I will know that I am on the right path.

Latest posts

Back