Difference between magnetic gold filled and nonmagnetic

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a small batch of Rolex winder buttons,50-60 grams but 18 k and ran them in hot hydrochloric , it did a decent job but a little sorting was still required but much easier than trying to hand remove the caps.
If you have big volumes it will take time but it should remove the stainless or the vast majority of it.
Don't forget to incinerate after the hydrochloric

I've been processing the GFed watch caps &, if your caps are magnetic than the gold is over a stainless base. What I have been doing is...

1. Use nitric step as you would any other material but, instead of using your calculated amount just use 100ml at a time over a slightly heated source. You will know by the change in reaction when it's time to move to the rolling boil.

2. Drain / filter as normal. Use some distilled water shaken around to grab the last little pieces.

3. Use a magnet to grab some stainless wash it in distilled water using the dip up and down to clean the nitric wash off.

4. The pile of stainless will have pieces of gold attached. Using a pair of fine tweezers peal the gold off. It will act just like pulling masking tape off of a car comming out of the paint booth.

5. Add what you pulled off back to your main batch.

6. The items that are still fully intact weigh & put in a container for your next batch.

One saved round is that I've bought between 20-25 pounds of watches to scrap so not only can I run batches of just GF over stainless & split it up by cap design so that I know if I'm seeing the same cape twice.

However, I can't seem to get anything done with the gold fill over stainless beaded items. Anyone have some old timer suggestions?

I know I will probably get blasted for this, but in my experience values are more easily lost in the incineration process than going switching from hcl to nitric or nitric to hcl.
When I do the switch after a rinse, in order to go after some different metals, any values dissolved in the very very miniscule amount of AR produced simply gets cemented back out in simple displacement reactions in the new acid bath. But yeah yeah... Hoke says this and that other thing or two, BUT she also points out single displacement reactions so why not go with the flow and use them.

OK guys, let me have it... Reinventing the wheel again.

PS: I have run into a lot of magnetic gold filled, but almost always it is in gold filled chains or links like necklaces or bracelets. Someone earlier also made a comment about gold filled items being rolled so they wouldn't use iron based metals. Don't you call that rolled gold which is different from gold filled?

As it relates to the above, after removing bulk base metals manually I use HCl first on the magnetic items. The product gets added to the non magnetic materials before I process the non magnetic with nitric. No values are lost. As an added note: Most of my watch band pieces from common vintage watches are magnetic, especially old spiedel watch bands.

au-artifax,

I think you are wrong here, if done properly you will not lose values in the incineration process.

And you can be losing values switching from HCl to nitric without proper incineration between the processes, you are also losing some very important benefits of the incineration process.

You seem to like to argue, or seem to be trying to pick an argument, of what we know as facts, are you here to learn? Or are you just wasting your time here trying to pick an argument?

Worse than wrong in your thinking, you are also promoting misinformation, If you want to do without the incineration process between switching acids with your own scrap that is just fine, but do not be promoting that kind of nonsense here, it is hard enough trying to help those who wish to learn how to do this properly, we do not need someone coming here promoting misinformation and confusing those who wish to learn.

au-artifax said:
I know I will probably get blasted for this, but in my experience values are more easily lost in the incineration process than going switching from hcl to nitric or nitric to hcl.
When I do the switch after a rinse, in order to go after some different metals, any values dissolved in the very very miniscule amount of AR produced simply gets cemented back out in simple displacement reactions in the new acid bath. But yeah yeah... Hoke says this and that other thing or two, BUT she also points out single displacement reactions so why not go with the flow and use them.

OK guys, let me have it... Reinventing the wheel again.

PS: I have run into a lot of magnetic gold filled, but almost always it is in gold filled chains or links like necklaces or bracelets. Someone earlier also made a comment about gold filled items being rolled so they wouldn't use iron based metals. Don't you call that rolled gold which is different from gold filled?

As it relates to the above, after removing bulk base metals manually I use HCl first on the magnetic items. The product gets added to the non magnetic materials before I process the non magnetic with nitric. No values are lost. As an added note: Most of my watch band pieces from common vintage watches are magnetic, especially old spiedel watch bands.

another post by au-artifax

butcher said:
au-artifax,

I think you are wrong here, if done properly you will not lose values in the incineration process.

And you can be losing values switching from HCl to nitric without proper incineration between the processes, you are also losing some very important benefits of the incineration process.

You seem to like to argue, or seem to be trying to pick an argument, of what we know as facts, are you here to learn? Or are you just wasting your time here trying to pick an argument?

Worse than wrong in your thinking, you are also promoting misinformation, If you want to do without the incineration process between switching acids with your own scrap that is just fine, but do not be promoting that kind of nonsense here, it is hard enough trying to help those who wish to learn how to do this properly, we do not need someone coming here promoting misinformation and confusing those who wish to learn.

Hi. I would be very interested in learning more of what the incineration process does for the procedure. I am not saying there are things I don't know. I am seriously not trying to argue, however it does get tiresome when everyone simply goes overboard and spends more time promoting their resumes than explaining the basis for their procedures.
Please, do explain the benefits of incineration. I only have heard the negative side of the issue.

i think the issue is not being able to eliminate

1. dissolved base metals from the nitric or HCl treatments
2. nitric or HCl left over from the water rinses

i think if you have to ask yourself a question, what is your goal? 99.99 pure gold in a few more steps or are you happy with less pure gold drops because of drag down from dirty solutions that have base metals still dissolved.

i think you have to look at who on the forum comes up with these process's, people who have spent their lives refining and are willing to share these idea's with us. i think they have good advice, priceless advice. incinerating 100 grams of gold foils from ram chips after a nitric treat, ya you probably will loose a good percentage of that. incinerating material from 10 ounces of karat gold, it's neglagable compared to the quality of gold that will come out of the process.

Latest posts

Back