Dirty gold fingers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

Hello every one, iam new to the world of scraping
am now collecting the plated pins from mother boards and hard drive boards, am using an air hammer to do the job quickly but when cutting the pins i get some mlccs and tiny wood and metalic pieces beside the pins
So separating those would be a very hard task to do specially when they are in big amounts, my question is can i chemically process all of them together to get pure gold without the need to separate them?
if yes can any one give my a quick guide for the process?

Welcome to the forum sayf.
In short, no.

Chemical refining involves working with poisonous solutions of metals dissolved by acids. The fumes created can also kill you.
Study how to work safe. Minimum personal protection needed are gloves and safety glasses, and always work in well ventilated space: fume hood, or outside.

The components on electronic circuit boards are put togehther with different materials.
Different materials react different with acids.
You need different acids to treat different materials in a specific order to avoid problems later on in the process.

Get rid of all solder before you treat it chemically. Tin is an element we try to avoid in refining. Only used to make stannous chloride to test for gold and PGM's in solution.

Key is separating from start. As you said, its a pain to go through tiny mlcc's and tiny pins and a bunch of plastic and solder.
Try to remove them separate from the boards.
Separate magnetic parst from non magnetic parts.
Search for scrapping, separating and recognising the components with value. You tube can be helpfull here. Be very carefull with chemical process video's there. They can kill you when performed as shown.

Learn how to deal with the chemical waste you create environmentally responsible. Minimise creating waste as much as possible.
To get you started:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28521
Learn to use the search function. Refine your searches in the results.
You have a lot of reading to do, but we will guide you through it.
Have fun, be safe.
Martijn

Latest posts

Back