disc from hard drives

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

what is the best method of processing disc from hard drives? i have two dozen 12 inch disc from a very old data processor. they look exactly like the small disc from a hard drive only much larger. i tried bending one double but the golden film didnt crack. any suggestions?

If the platters are made of Aluminium like in most today produced hard drives the easiest way would be to dissolve Al in NaOH solution then filter out any gold foils.

Before dissolving the platter use a sharp scraper and remove a small piece of the gold looking foil test in a test tube with a few drops of AP then test with stannous. Testing saves time and acids.
Mark

seawolf said:
Before dissolving the platter use a sharp scraper and remove a small piece of the gold looking foil test in a test tube with a few drops of AP then test with stannous. Testing saves time and acids.
Mark

few drops of AR no?

Gold foils? I thought they were mostly Aluminum. The ones that have a reeded edge like a coin also contain some Kryptonite. Just kidding. I thought we had gone over this topic in the past and came to the conclusion that very few of them, contain very little Platinum. This is the first I have heard about them containing Gold also.

The gold looking ones are very old, and I seem to remember Lazer Steve said they are iron oxide. Nothing of value (other than aluminum).

Jim

i remember the first video disc had a layer of gold as the reflective part before they found a way to use aluminum. but these disc are very similar to a HD disc and i heard there was a type of PM on them. if its not worth dealing with then its the scrap pile for them. theres about 40 pounds of them.

I don't know about hard drive platers, but early CD and especially CD-R & CD-RW discs had a layer of Au or Ag.
Even today some manufacturers are using same process to manufacture discs. Its just way superior to Al layer.
Using Au greatly extends discs expected lifespan.

Back