Dismantling Airplane and large Truck Cabs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

You stay in the junk business long enough your going to come across some large aluminum trailers and reefers, truck cabs, bus's or even the odd airplane.

You have a few options available when it comes to dismantling large pieces of aluminum, if your lucky and operate your business near a scrap yard that has a shredder you could sell your goods as shredder aluminum.

Those big shredders have two 3500 hp engines and do a wonderful job, shredding and separating the materials feed into them.

Option two would be using a plasma cutter, from experience usually no power available for this equipment. The piece your wrecking out has been delegated to the back forty.

You could use a gasoline powered chop saw, or an electric skill saw, both of which I have no love for.

The fastest most economical way I have found is using my portable welder, I buy the cheapest welding rod available, soak them in water. Then set the welder onto its highest power setting, drag the rod over the aluminum sheet. This method is a bit smoky but very fast.

Use the same safety precautions you would when ever using an electric arc welder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back