Dissolving Platinum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franciz

Dear All,

I find that that dissolving platinum foils in AR is a very slow process (I heat it at about 90C to 95C with a watch glass cover). I would like to know is there an alternatives way to dissolve Platinum without using AR?

Thanks.

I prefer HCl and Cl2 gas. No denoxing needed and more aggressive towards platinum.

Oz,

Can you tell me more about HCl + Cl2 gas? Does the solution need to be heated and how much HCl will i need to dissolve 10 grams of Pt(Just an example)

Thanks
francis

Anyone could kindly tell me the HCL/Cl2 method for dissolving platinum or could tell me a link that i could read at? I have tried the search box in this forum without any luck. :roll:

Thanks......

Franciz,

I’m sorry it took me so long to reply.
No matter whether you use Aqua Regia or HCl/Cl2, platinum will be slow to digest in massive form. As stated I like to avoid nitric because it can cause additional work further down the recovery/refining process with many types of scrap. For 10 grams if you started with 300 mL HCl and added sodium hypochlorite to generate your Cl2 gas in solution you would be fine. I do use heat with HCl/Cl2 to speed the reaction. The heat drives the gas out of solution though, so I reflux it back to conserve it.

But some of the questions you need to ask are what are you doing with this once it is in solution. If you wish to precipitate a platinum salt, you will have difficulty in concentrating your solution sufficiently because of excess sodium from your sodium hypochlorite additions. Ways around this are to use nitric to start, consume all nitric, then finish with Cl2 or H2O2. You can also generate your Cl2 gas externally to avoid adding salts. Often HCl/Cl2 is used for recovery then values cemented with zinc.

Knowing what form your platinum is in and what you wish to do once digested will help in what may be your best approach. As a reference point, a piece of pure platinum in hot AR the thickness of a US dime can take 4-5 hours to digest.

Sorry Oz, I thought i have already reply in this forum, Maybe i forgot to click on submit :lol: :lol: :lol: Just want to say thank you...
I will try on Ar first if it don't works then will try the Hcl/Bleach method...

Thanks

Latest posts

Back