dissolving solder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

there was a thread in the forum that said that solder could be dissolved by covering it with acetic acid+ h202--------could someone tell me how i can find this thread?-----i did the experiment and had a parcial result------thanks
Arthur

Is this what you are looking for?

Quote by Harold
It is very easy to remove ALL of the lead from the aqua regia solution. All you do is add a little battery acid and filter well - you can't get any simpler than that. You're going to have to filter the AR solution anyway - why not get ALL of the lead out at the same time. This is 100% reliable, whereas the leaching of 100% of the lead from the foils with acetic/H2O2 is questionable, at least in my mind. If my math is right, one ml of 35% battery acid will precipitate about 1.15 grams of lead, as lead sulfate, but it doesn't hurt to add a little extra.

If you do the standard procedures correctly, the gold from refining the foils should be very pure. Can you explain in detail how you're refining the foils? If you're just melting them, that's not going to work in any case. The same with the gold that you inquart and then treat with nitric. If you don't further refine the resulting gold, the best it will be is about 99% pure.

EDIT: In thinking further about this, if you have lead on the foils, you also have tin. Therefore, it might be a good idea to leach the clean foils in hot full-strength muriatic acid, since it will dissolve both tin and lead. If any lead chloride crystals form, they can be dissolved in hot water. You could instead use a solution of 24% glacial acetic acid, by volume, 4% Hydrogen peroxide of 30% strength, by volume, (or, 40%, by volume, of 3% strength), with the remainder water, at room temperature, to dissolve both tin and lead. This will help eliminate the problem with the slimy tin compound, metastannic acid, from forming when you finally dissolve the foils in aqua regia. That may be one source of your purity problem. I would still use the battery acid in the aqua regia, however, in any case where lead was originally present.

Search result
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6864&p=61518&hilit=acetic#p61518

Barren,yes that quote from Harold is part of what i am looking for----the other part was a thread from (i am not sure) 4metals-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by the way ,in eliminating tin with full strenght hcl,how do you know when all the tin went into solution?

Perhaps this?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6660&start=0&hilit=acetic+acid

In which case you really need to try the search function.

I just make sure and wash my material with HCL till no more color change to indicate all of it is out of the material.
if you still have a concern that you might have tin in your solution after you dissolve your gold add some tap water and it should bring your tin out of solution to be filtered, I also cool the solution down when I am filtering.

Latest posts

Back