Distillation Condenser Competition

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darinventions

Well i had to stop my silver cell because ill be going back to work March 1st...So i still don't know how much silver crystal this new cell will make...anyway i cleaned it out, washed&dried the Ag. crystals, then weighed them, then melted&poured bars, and weighed again...so the competition is can you guess the final weight based on the amount of Ag. crystals you see?here's some pictures...good luck...who ever has the closes guess wins the condenser with some extras....keep in mind that if your country or republic prohibits the use or possession of these item or its use you obviously will not win it or receive it...

Attachments

• CAM00248.jpg
    CAM00248.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 457
  • CAM00243.jpg
    CAM00243.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 457
  • CAM00242.jpg
    CAM00242.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 457
  • CAM00241.jpg
    CAM00241.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 457
darinventions said:
so the competition is can you guess the final weight based on the amount of Ag. crystals you see

I'd have to say 117 grams

(My guess is based on a standard 15 oz apothecary jar, without the lid "approximately 2 oz". It looks to be around 1/3 full, and if silver crystals take up 70% of the total area.)

Edit - added approx weight of lid

Thank you for guessing but that's not even close...ill be a little more clear...Try to guess the (After Melt Weight) based on the amount of crystals you see...one of the pics has the wash&dried product in a cup, sitting on scales...tare weight of cup was (22.9 gm)....this will be the before melt weight...were trying to guess after melt weight..i wrote a hint on that with the pic...

darinventions said:
Thank you for guessing but that's not even close...ill be a little more clear...Try to guess the (After Melt Weight) based on the amount of crystals you see...one of the pics has the wash&dried product in a cup, sitting on scales...tare weight of cup was (22.9 gm)....this will be the before melt weight...were trying to guess after melt weight..i wrote a hint on that with the pic...

In that case, I'd have to say 520.70g

I have to end the competition on February 22,at 6:00pm...central time ...i will announce the winner. at 10pm that night....the winner will need to private message me the mailing address to send it to....thank you for participating

autumnwillow said:
520gms. Shipping is free of charge? lol
Yes...I'm paying the shipping...ONE important detail about this condenser...you can use it outside ,but i wouldn't recommend it...when i first made it..i used it outside an because you can't control the wind,it would somehow change the air pressure in the system an cause a boil over which would then contaminate the product with salts...not to mention clog the condensing tube with salt as well...since i put it in a fumehood with a controled environment I've not had that problem reocurr...just giving a word to the wise...

Well i wasn't looking for an exact amount..that would be nearly impossible ...so i was going for who ever got the closest rather the guess be under a little or over a little...thank you all who participated...the WINNER is (FrugalRefiner)

Attachments

• CAM00253.jpg
    CAM00253.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 210
  • CAM00251.jpg
    CAM00251.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 210
  • CAM00252.jpg
    CAM00252.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 210
  • CAM00259.jpg
    CAM00259.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 210
  • CAM00258.jpg
    CAM00258.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 210
Woohoo!

Thanks for your work on this project. It's always great to see what our members come up with depending on the materials they have available. I'm looking forward to your next build!

Dave

Well, I received my prize Friday! Not only did Dave (darinventions) send the CPVC/PVC condenser, but he included almost everything else needed to run the rig. He sent a catch bottle for the condensate, ten feet of clear, flexible hose for the water supply and return, hose clamps for the hose, a propane burner modified with the stove protector, and a 400°F candy thermometer with a rubber stopper for the distillation flask!!!

Thank you Dave, for your generosity! It will be a while before I get to put it to use, as we just moved into our new house a couple of days before Christmas.

I'm looking forward to your next project!

Dave

Attachments

• Thermometer and Burner.jpg
    Thermometer and Burner.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 166
  • Condenser Accessories.jpg
    Condenser Accessories.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Condenser and Accessories.jpg
    Condenser and Accessories.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 166
Back