Distilled water

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaun

With all this talk about distilled water on the forum, I was thinking :idea:
You can get distilled water easily and for free!
Rain Water
Or is it not the same?

I guess pollution will be a problem (acid rain comes to mind)

Rain water is actually pretty dirty--it dissolves CO2 and other gases from the atmosphere, in addition to suspended particulates (which is what helps to form these rain drops--they serve as nucleation points for condensate).

Lou

I knew that rain water was acidic due to CO2 and pollution but I'm not sure if it contains metals ions. Also, the Cl- ion should be only a few PPMs.

Although it is overkill for most of what I do, I use the water from my dehumidifier. I live in the northeastern US with high humidity so I get several gallons a day. It is not as pure as you would get from the store as I am sure there is small dust there but other than that maybe a very small trace of copper from the condensation coils. It is also very soft water for your laundry if you are fussy about that sort of thing, or just like to conserve.

I think rain water will be better than tap water if you want to prevent silver chloride forming, when doing silver. (SA tap water has lots of Cl)

And what about boiling tap water, does that get rid of Cl?

Latest posts

Back