DMG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsilverpro

In Remembrance
Moderator Emeritus
I was in a store today that sold a line of "NOW" brand vitamins. One was N-N-DMG. The pills were 125 mg and a bottle of 80 (I think) of them was about $10. That's a buck a gram. I'm sure there is a filler in there to hold them together but, who knows. They may work fine. What do you think, Lou? Is N-N-Dimethyl Gloxime usable to test for Pd and Ni?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22n+n+dmg%22&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS259US259

haha We sell that product where I work (we sell suppliments/homeopathic medicines to naturopathic doctors and I do A/R and claims) and everytime I see that product, I think of our DMG :p
We also sell other things, certain minerals, that I think may play potentially play a role in refining. Need time to look into it :p

There are numerous natural substance one can buy in a health food store that may have refining applications such as:

Malic Acid: A fruit acid found in apples and other fruit, known to chelate aluminum and other metals.

Citric Acid: Useful as an iron wash

Ascorbic Acid: similar to citric

Soybean products: Contain phytic acid which is produced by the soy plant to discourage herbivores. It binds strongly to minerals and other nutrients. It has been mentioned on this forum that soy sauce works as a precipitating agent. (By the way... soy is one of the worst foods you can eat for this reason)

Citrus juice: Mentioned in one US patent as being an efficent leaching agent for aluminum... an alternative perhaps to the energy intensive methods currently used in aluminum refining.

And of course we all know flour is used in reducing fluxes and common salt to precipitate AgCl from nitric solution and as an ingredient in various leach formulas.

Latest posts

Back