Dried Filter after wash edges are green/yellow

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naboobo2000

I ran my cell phones through AP. I washed 3 times with water and two times with HCL. After the wash was done I ran all material into some clean dry filters and they didn't change color at all. Gold and soldier mask did not change the color of filter. After the filter dried last night the edges of the filter had color. One side was green the other side 180Degrees out was yellow.

My question is; Did I not wash very good? Do I need to start it again? What am I looking at? Here are is an image that I took this morning of my problem. Thanks again.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC01771.JPG
    DSC01771.JPG
    3 MB
the filter is discolored from salt left over from the traces of acid that you cant wash out of your material. the discoloration is to be expected. i see nothing to worry about. it looks to me that your ready to move on to the refining part of the process.

Great, Thanks Geo. I know you see alot of mask in here but this was off of 250 cell phones. Right now it weights out at 22.87 grams without the weight of the filters.

Got any good suggestions on either running the one filter in CL with gold and remove it after digestion while washing it out with spray bottle or spray contents out then run?

since the filter is dry, try to empty the filter into your reaction vessel, if your using an old coffee pot put the filter in sideways and tap the bottom.this will remove the most of it. for any that stays stuck to the filter, wash it into a different container that you can let the foils settle and decant the water. save all filters to incinerate and process later (there may not be many starting out, but believe me, they will add up). go straight to hcl/cl on the foils in your reaction chamber and after all foils is dissolved, filter solution to remove solder mask.

It appears to me that a small amount of gold dissolved, which is easy to do if too much peroxide is added. Then the tin which is definitely in there if their was solder on the boards, dissolved in the HCl to form stannous chloride. It detected the small amount of dissolved gold, which is the purple stains in the lower portion of the filter.
Those yields are WAY too high for the material you are processing. Look for texans posts for more accurate yield data. You have a LOT of contamination in there with your foils, hoss. I would not begin to speculate what it all is. The acid peroxide method is not the method of choice for whole boards. Again, do some more digging, following the info above.

Latest posts

Back