electrolysis

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This search should give you what you are looking for.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?keywords=volts&terms=all&author=&sv=0&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?keywords=voltage&terms=all&author=&sv=0&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?keywords=power&terms=all&author=&sv=0&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Enjoy.

hany_elkoptan said:
can you help me please
gold , silver ,platinum and copper what volt and amp i need

The answers you are looking for are in the searches I gave you. You are going to have to do some reading to find out what you are looking for. The information is not going to be just handed to you. You need to read these searches because there is a lot more for you to know on the subject other than just power and voltage.

Yes you can use a power supply from a computer.

If you want to know alot more than just voltage like solution ,voltage,temperature ,REVERSE PLATING ,.,.,.. Look for a book called " The Electroplaters Bible".It has everything in it including some interesting geology and facts about PM content in diferent typs of mineral pyrites.I found a coppy at my local library .I believe it varies like 6 volts at room temperature for rhodium ect<>?<>?.Basicly everything pm electroplating!!!!!!!

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
If you want to know alot more than just voltage like solution ,voltage,temperature ,REVERSE PLATING ,.,.,.. Look for a book called " The Electroplaters Bible".It has everything in it including some interesting geology and facts about PM content in diferent typs of mineral pyrites.I found a coppy at my local library .I believe it varies like 6 volts at room temperature for rhodium ect<>?<>?.Basicly everything pm electroplating!!!!!!!
The only Google hit for "The Electroplaters Bible" is the post you just made. That Google Bot is sure fast. Is this the book you meant?
http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/The_Electroplaters_Handbook/0830603107/

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=elec.jpg&username=goodwilly&shcs_itemno=250665596676&from=ebay

hi
please i want your help becouse i want the right volt and amp to precious metals using electrolysis i want to use computer power supply to do it
i want volt and amp for gold , silver and platinum

I've dissolving parts of the computer and I want to recover metals from the solution to the poles using a cell so I ask you to select the appropriate voltage and amps for each metal electrodes

hany_elkoptan said:
hi
please i want your help becouse i want the right volt and amp to precious metals using electrolysis i want to use computer power supply to do it
i want volt and amp for gold , silver and platinum

I've dissolving parts of the computer and I want to recover metals from the solution to the poles using a cell so I ask you to select the appropriate voltage and amps for each metal electrodes

Wait now the metals are already in solution? What kind of solution?

I agree with BR. You must provide a lot more information if you expect answers. The type solution - cyanide?, chloride?, or what? What are the metal concentrations in this solution? Are these different metals all in the same solution or in different solutions? If they are in the same solution, it must be cyanide. If all together in cyanide, you won't have much luck trying to separate them by just varying the amps/volts.

hany_elkoptan said:
aqua regia

All in all, I feel this is a bad, pie-in-the-sky, idea.

Some reasons.

First of all, with aqua regia, you have little or almost no silver dissolved in the solution, depending on the strength of the aqua regia. After dissolving, most all the silver that was present ended up in the filter as the pasty solid, silver chloride. Also, in order to plate out the gold or platinum, you will first have to eliminate all of the nitric acid that is present in the aqua regia. Even then, you will have to find an anode that will stand up to the electrolytic HCl. Carbon or graphite may be your only choice, although they may fall apart. To do this even partially successfull, the HCl, gold, and Pt concentrations will be important. Also, you will never be able to plate out 100% of the gold and/or platinum - the platinum, especially, will be troublesome. And, you will never be able to plate out one without the other plating out simultaneously - you will never get a clean separation, no matter what voltage or amperage you use.

Why don't you keep it simple: get rid of the nitric and then precipitate the gold. Next, the Pt can be precipitated as a salt with ammonium chloride and treated accordingly. Everything you need to know about doing this has been covered many, many times, in detail on the forum. Search and see.

Chris

Latest posts

Back