Electrolytic copper refining cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you determined to use nitric? If you do you need to figure out how to separate copper nitrate from copper sulfate. Have you considered oxidizing your copper first, before sulfuric usage? Once it turns that greenish color then add it to sulfuric. Or look for copper sulfate in other forms. Here it is used to kill roots in septic systems and can be found in most home repair stores. Reading the ingredients in home use chemicals can be a real eye opener at times.

Here is an idea, make a gold stripping cell and run it with no gold. If it heats up sulfuric will put copper into solution.
I thought about getting copper oxide by oxidizing copper while melting pure copper, then make shots then dissolve in dilute sulphuric acid, I did it before by mistake since I melted an old copper powder without adding carbon as a flux.

Also I have another option by producing copper oxide by electrolysis using NaCl electrolyte, after collecting the copper oxide powder then heat them till convert to copper 2 oxide then dissolve in dilute sulphuric acid.

But I believe I will get better ideas if I wait more

Hmmm, if heating will oxidize all copper elements that will be a very good idea, but I think heating copper under the melting point will only oxidize its surface.
I think you just need to get it started, as with burning it.
Like AP does, once it has copper in HCl, it becomes AP and attacks copper quicker. Not sure it will work with copper and sulfuric but it is worth a try. And it uses fewer chemicals.

I think you just need to get it started, as with burning it.
Like AP does, once it has copper in HCl, it becomes AP and attacks copper quicker. Not sure it will work with copper and sulfuric but it is worth a try. And it uses fewer chemicals.
I read it before, copper sulpate can't react with copper as copper chloride do، so copper sulphate will not oxidize any copper.

Latest posts

Back