Epic Failure

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldinsulator

Because I needed a place to store the chemicals , I now have 5 gallon mix of muratic acid , hydrogen peroxide,bleach and 400 ml. of "smb". Can and how if I can reprocess this pretty agua blue wizards brew to recover the gold in it hiding from me ? There is a lot of gold in there I just didnt get the brown mud I was looking for. Does anyone know How I might do it . Please help.

How much gold do you think you have? What was the source material and how much?
How did you process your soure material? Filtering? Incineration? separating solids? Tell us all details or we might give you bad advices if we don't know what you did.

And as ericrm asked, what does testing for gold give for result?

If you don't know how to test for gold that is the place for you to start learning.
Just put a lid on your bucket and start learning before testing anything and making the situation even worse. Your gold isn't lost unless you throw it away.

Göran

OK , I have the stannous chloride on the way. i had processed 8lbs of various fingers ,pins ,bga chips, 4 newer style processors . Some incinerated gold plated boards from phones as well as mother boards and ic chips.

I had filtered liquid and added smb to 3quart size amounts /or batches of the liquid but got nothing when adding the smb, it was just dissolved or a brown looking would start to develop then disappear when stirred some more. So I saved it to a larger container.

First Thank You to all who have made great suggestions !!!

I have re-filtered the batch can up with 12 filled coffee filters, that is they would not let any more drain through them. I have just wash them and they are drying now.

Yes I am going to wait for the stannous chloride before I do anything else with the liquid I have.

once the filters have dried I balled them up into 2 clean used filters, what should I do , they had both a reddish browncolor and grayish color, the grayist color was first then it progressed to the redish brown color the further I got to the bottom of the bucket.

did you process the fingers, pins, chips, and cpus together in the same batch? If you did, you are going to have a big mess on your hands. you are probably going to have a decent amount of tin in your solution from the bga's (from the solder contact points) which can mess with your stannous results. Likewise (and someone correct me if I am wrong) I believe the addition of the SMB can throw off the stannous results as well.

I had processed them seperatly at first but when I didnt see any reaction from the smb I combined the liquids. And very yes a mess. Well I was able to recover some brown stuff for melting. I will wait to see what the stannous chloride says before I neutralize it and dispose. I will wait till I can test each batch before I process any more scrap.

goldinsulator said:
I had processed them seperatly at first but when I didnt see any reaction from the smb I combined the liquids. And very yes a mess. Well I was able to recover some brown stuff for melting. I will wait to see what the stannous chloride says before I neutralize it and dispose. I will wait till I can test each batch before I process any more scrap.

one of the things about refining material is to avoid mixing your feed stocks and the chief reason is to avoid unwanted/unknown contaminants. I don't have the knowledge to help you much, but i can tell you to save your materials... since you added some SMB, gold may no longer be in solution. It may have precipitated and be in the 'sludge' at the bottom of a container. Stannous tests to see if gold is dissolved in solution. SMB generates SO2 which reduces the gold to metallic form which stannous wont pick up... said metallic gold will then settle to the bottom of the container.

You will probably need to shelve the material for a while and read hoke's. There maybe someone here that will be able to help you through the process if you ask around.

lastly, you said you had about 8 pounds of materials (fingers,pins,cpus, etc...) how many pounds of fingers did you start with? the fingers you are talking about are the gold fingers on the sides of pci cards, right? Just want to make sure, because you could have a decent amount of gold in on your hands.

Yes I was to able to recover 4grams. By reserching this wonderful site I also found that I had overheated my solution. I have copper coated pins 4lbs worth. So by what I have read I cemented the copper over the gold plate.

Man what a great site for a wannabee that soon will be a hobbyist having a great time making gold from trash......

I do wish for a few in and outs on - muratic acid/ bleach - formula.
Do to my economic statis at this point and it much more easier to dispose of the waste product I prefer to recover gold that way.

I can still recover the gold from the acid/bleach solution , is this correct?
And I want to just warm the 1 to 1 solution of muratic acid / bleach , is this correct ?

Thank You all again for your insight into my EPIC FAILURE but thats me If I think I can I do -- but did so safely.

Yes I was to able to recover 4grams. By reserching this wonderful site I also found that I had overheated my solution. I have copper coated pins 4lbs worth. So by what I have read I cemented the copper over the gold plate.

Man what a great site for a wannabee that soon will be a hobbyist having a great time making gold from trash......

Do to my economic statis at this point and it much more easier to dispose of the waste product I prefer to recover gold that way.

And I want to just warm the 1 to 1 solution of muratic acid / bleach , is this correct ?

Thank You all again for your insight into my EPIC FAILURE but thats me If I think I can I do -- but did so safely.

Please note the correct spelling of muriatic acid.

Harold

Yes you can recover gold from the solution and yes you may need to heat it, if you have any unreacted chlorine, before the gold will precipitate.

It is a simple process, but just like any process, you need to study it well, so you understand the details needed to perform the process properly, and safely.

Latest posts

Back