Ethics/Morality of misrepresenting eBay auctions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scam artists at best, and crooks at worst (if one considered less harmful then the other).

The fact is, these drops are marketed to the “wanna be” back yard refiner, because these “drops” could scarcely be regarded as “Future Valued Investments”.

There is absolutely no reason to melt pins into “drops” except to fool the uninitiated into thinking there is more value in that “drop”.
Play the devils advocate, why not sell the unmolested pins and save the trouble and expense of melting, gram for gram, both should be of equal value... right?
No... for 3 reasons
1) You have a chance of estimating the values of plated pins before bidding.
2) You have no chance of if estimating values in a melted “drop”.
3) The “drop” look a lot like a Solid Gold Button.

Any fool with a torch and a little practice can melt a bunch of pins into a button. Add a few deceptive descriptions for the original pins “mill spec”, “thick plated” etc... It begs the question... How do we know the pins were “hi-quality”? The truth is, you will never know.

It is not easy to “fake” pins, so the scammers do the next best thing. Melt a few genuine Gold Plated pins so they can add bits of junk metals to increase weight, then polish the button.
So there is your added value...

One seller has in his description “will fail the 10K test”. This is another deception because 1K will also fail the test, in fact, a piece of copper wire will also fail the 10K test. But while the statement is indeed true, “10-K” is not lost in the mind of the prospective buyer... it is a “hint” dropped by the scammer.

Because of that statement, the seller is perceived to be “honest”, but it is also intended to plant a number in the mind of the buyer. The human mind will “fill in” missing information, this trait makes us humans good at solving problems (but will also lead us down a foolish path, because Gold brings out the optimist in all of us).
The actual karat value of the button is a number between 0 and 9 (so now, the buyer has to make a decision, based on truthful, but counterproductive information). The button appears “golden”, so it's perhaps somewhere close to 9K but not more than 10K.
At best, he correctly guesses there is nothing of much value and moves on. At worst, he calculates up to 9k worth of value, considers his chances of out-bidding everyone else, and places a bid accordingly.

The bait is set, the lines are tight, the seller waits for the fish to bite.

I could have sworn when I read this thread yesterday, that someone locked it, but I see that it's not. But here's my take on this:

When I went and looked at a few of the melted pins for auction/sale, I noticed something very deceptive in the Title alone. And guess what makes the ad deceptive (to me anyway) the one and only 2 words....

From Wikipedia
(Troy Ounce)

Troy ounce in today's terms is normally used for the weight of precious metals. If the word Troy wasn't in there, at least the title wouldn't be obviously deceptive.

[UPDATE] Someone must be reading these posts and changing their ads on eBay because one of the ones I saw that said Troy Ounce in the title, now uses the word RAW. Also, saying in the description that the item came from 24K gold plated items is just as bogus, especially if you can't even show the item before it was melted down. Heck, I have pounds of gold plated pins. Clean pins at that. But I know they're not troy ounces worth or even raw gold.

I can go on and on, but this thread should only be good enough to simply educate people.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put together a little list of threads to let new people to this forum that has little to no experience in precious metals to read over. That way, they won't get snookered on eBay. I got snookered on eBay because someone put in the title (Palladium), when in fact, they should have said Tantalum. That's alright, we live and we learn.

Kevin

99% of the times people should avoid Ebay. Yesterday some had 60 drives for sale for $150 or so. I sent him an offer of $60 he reply with a counter offer of $2 less - $148. Only then I realized the 60 drives were 2.5" lol. Thank God he didn't accept my offer. So I replied to him that his drives were not worth more then $30 since the only valuable thing there is the board at $11/pound and each 2.5" board only weights around 10 grams. So I went back and looked at his previous sales and indeed he has sold before around 60 laptop drives for around $140-$150.

Latest posts

Back