Few CPU processing questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siddharta

Hello guys,

I am new here and I am thinking to start with gold refining. I have 2 lbs of scrap CPU-s.
I've done my homework and read all books that you are recommending, but still I have some questions.

When pins are removed does it make sense to grind CPU-s not to dust but quite small parts? I was thinking to use old steel meat grinder.
Regarding mobile boards I have same question. Process them whole or grind them and then put in AR?

And one final question... Fumes produced in AR process. Can they be exhausted directly to the air?

Thanks, B.

siddharta said:
Hello guys,

I am new here and I am thinking to start with gold refining. I have 2 lbs of scrap CPU-s.
I've done my homework and read all books that you are recommending, but still I have some questions.

What type of processors are you talking about, ceramic, transitional or fiber?

When pins are removed does it make sense to grind CPU-s not to dust but quite small parts? I was thinking to use old steel meat grinder.

It depends on what type of CPUs you are talking about. If you are talking about ceramic processors, grinding them wouldn't hurt and if there is any gold container inside you would get at it. If you do this, you might want to get a classification screen, grind up the ceramic into powder and screen for small wires, but honestly you probably won't find anything more of value. Usually, breaking the CPUs up into 5-10 parts each, so long as the heat spreader has already been removed, is enough. If they are ceramic, a common practice is to remove the gold plated heat shields and process them in a sulfuric cell.

If you are talking about fiber CPUs, if you remove the gold pins first then you could grind them, however, if there are values they could become mashed against your meat grinding blacks. In ceramic this doesn't happen in the same way. But if there is gold in your fiber, you very well could mash it into the fiber/plastic material. Incineration works, but you are also talking about potentially creating toxic gases I don't believe your neighbors would appreciate very much.

Regarding mobile boards I have same question. Process them whole or grind them and then put in AR?

There are different ways to process materials, each person seems to have their own way of doing so. With cell phone boards you are probably going to want to remove the components first. You can do this by dissolving the base metals in acid, then remove the components, or you might use a method that uses heat to melt the solder so they can be plucked out that way. But grinding them up is not going to help. There are not gold wires in the boards. I am using a press with a large case hardened steel vice. I load the cell phone board in the vice and use the press to force the board through, sheering the components off the board, only problem is that material will get flung all over the place if you do not have a way to prevent it from doing so. It's a quick dirty way of removing components. Then you remove the base metals and process in AR to foil. Often when the base metals are removed, some of the gold plate foils off. There is a ton of information how to process this type of material on this forum.

And one final question... Fumes produced in AR process. Can they be exhausted directly to the air?

Thanks, B.

Remember, any gases produced could be life threatening. Keeping this in mind, people do process outdoors where there is plenty of fresh air and ventilation. NOx can be deadly, and any gases you create in the process should be treated as being so. Obviously you don't want to do this in an area where the gases can blow into your neighbors open window. But the gas can be, and is often times, expelled into the air. There are also ways to scrub the gases you produce, small versions of larger systems based on the same concepts, that work very well. Whatever you do, don't process your material near anything metal or alive. It will corrode metal, and kill living things that breath it in. I would strongly suggest that doing this inside is extremely risky and dangerous. Do it outside or under a fume hood.

Scott

Scott thank you for very informational reply. I am still learning and figuring out how to design a work flow that will be most effective.

CPU-s are ceramic sorry forgot to mention that before.

Thank you again for help. ;)

Boris

If your CPU's are ceramic, it just takes breaking them up into 5-10 parts making sure that the center is broken up well enough for the solution to be able to get to the Au in the center of the chip (the tiny gold associated with the connectors to the actual silicon wafer on the inside). You don't need to process the pins separately, but I would process the caps separately, maybe in a sulfuric cell to strip the gold plating.

Ceramic CPUs are fairly easy to process, to cut down on costs you might even try using poor man's AR. HCl with Sodium Nitrate added as needed, this creates Nitric Acid in solution and can be far more cost effective than using Nitric. I try to only use Nitric in my last refining step so that I can be assured of the highest purity, but if I am using AR to recover, I try to use Sodium Nitrate instead.

Scott

Scott thanx again...

I don't have sulphuric cell yet, all the money went to other stuff. So I can process caps in AR or would it be better to store them and wait for sulphuric cell?
I know what I am asking, but ... you know how starts are...:S

Boris

im not scott, but i can give an answer. the caps can be dissolved in AR. you just have to be sure the entire cap dissolves during the dissolution. i routinely dissolve the gold plated caps while processing ceramic CPU's. if i dont have a batch of pins to run or its some one elses material, and theres not really enough to warrant setting the cell up, i will run the caps with the processors. again, be sure the entire cap dissolves.

Thanx for all the answers. Really apreciate it.

One more question... Hope it will be the last. :p

When I make gold powder out of the CPU-s, and if I wanna refine it even more... Can I refine just powder in AR, or have to use inquarting method? What should I do here?

Boris

Latest posts

Back