Filter then urea or urea then filter

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cly9412

What is the proper way to do this.Should I filter my poormans AR that has dissolved ceramic cpu's first.Then add urea and then SMB.Or should I poor off my solution add urea then filter and then add smb
Filter then urea?
Urea then filter?

jimmydolittle said:
Kill the nitric with urea, then filter.
OK thanks.I use a buckner funnel and a vacume hand pump.Then I like to use a spray bottle to wash the gold berring solution out of my filter.Can you add to much water and cause problems,say if were working with 100ml of poorman ar how much water would be to much.Or will the gold still fall from a solution that has more water in it than acid.

Harold says theres no such thing as too dilute when talking about auric chloride. i dont think rinsing will put an excess amount of water into your solution.

qst42know said:
If you need urea you are wasting chemicals.

How many times must your prepackaged recipe fail you before you stop and study the art?
I've never had one fail.Thank You Very Much.I have had problems with a couple batches but I have allway gotton my gold out of them in the end.I have read the hokes book.And for this batch I did'nt have time to add sodium nitrate little by little so I had an excess of nitric.

Cly wrote: "And for this batch I did'nt have time to add sodium nitrate little by little so I had an excess of nitric."
Cly, I hope you learned a valuable lesson.
"If you don't have enough time, don't start a process!" This is the main reason why many run into such problems, even serious injury & loss of values. Don't rush a process & don't skip the safe & proper steps.

Take care & be safe!

Phil

philddreamer said:
Cly wrote: "And for this batch I did'nt have time to add sodium nitrate little by little so I had an excess of nitric."
Cly, I hope you learned a valuable lesson.
"If you don't have enough time, don't start a process!" This is the main reason why many run into such problems, even serious injury & loss of values. Don't rush a process & don't skip the safe & proper steps.

Take care & be safe!

Phil
Dang Phil dont jinkes me.Get me all worried about hurting myself.I do take proper saftey mesures.I work all meterals outdoors and any time I'm near the solution weither it be filtering or anything I wear a gas mask with a NBC filter.While my cpu's are dissolving I dont go near it.

steyr223 said:
Geo wrote "I don't think rinsing will put an excess of
Water into your solution"

What? When I use the garden hose I end up with
At least 40-50 gallons of excess of water
steyr223
Chuckle!

Well, I'm the guy that told him that excess water does no harm. It doesn't---but then I never added several gallons. :lol: If a guy has a few dwt. of gold in a couple liters of solution, no big deal. A gram in several gallons? Yeah, that might be a little extreme---but it can be recovered by conventional methods (precipitated), unlike the platinum metals. That's the real point.

My policy was to keep solutions as concentrated as I could. That means you can use smaller vessels (those 4,000 ml beakers aren't cheap) and you have far less waste material to deal with when it comes time to dispose of them.

Harold

dose any one know were i can buy the paper filters from iv looked on ebay but im not shour on what to buy any help please

What kind of filters are you looking for?
What are you filtering?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10154&p=97843&hilit=vacuum+filters#p97808

Maybe that will help.

Phil

Harold_V said:
My policy was to keep solutions as concentrated as I could. That means you can use smaller vessels (those 4,000 ml beakers aren't cheap) and you have far less waste material to deal with when it comes time to dispose of them.
Just so you guys and gals have a visual reference to what Harold is refering to by "concentrated", here is a pic of auric chloride at 40 Troy ounces per liter (it is still warm off the hotplate).View attachment 1Here is what happens when that same solution was allowed to cool.

Attachments

• Au in HCl  1255 grams or 40.35 T oz per liter (warm)021.jpg
    Au in HCl 1255 grams or 40.35 T oz per liter (warm)021.jpg
    132.9 KB
  • Au in HCl  1255 grams or 40.35 T oz per liter (room temp) 034.jpg
    Au in HCl 1255 grams or 40.35 T oz per liter (room temp) 034.jpg
    184.3 KB
barnes8888 said:
dose any one know were i can buy the paper filters from iv looked on ebay but im not shour on what to buy any help please

you can buy larger size coffee filters (11 inches diameter, 27.5 centimeters) at some office supply, they are for the coffee urns.

500 filters for $5.

same material as smaller coffee filters. good for some chemistry filtering but not all.

ok, after a web search and quick look through a couple of books, it says that gold trichloride decomposes in light and is hygroscopic(pulls water from the air). is this true for all AuCl compounds? sorry about the questions but its hard to understand all the text in my chemistry books.

Au2Cl6, Claret red monoclinic crystal prisms (with a trace of HAuCl4). Very nice! Dr. Poe

Latest posts

Back