Finger boards, ICs and plug ends

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankman

What would you consider a fair price for the following scrap? We maybe looking at selling this scrap later next month, and are just trying to get a general idea of what it could be worth.

1. 35 lbs Finger boards. Approx 50% from ram sticks, 50% from daughter/riser cards. Can be seperated.
2. 60 lbs IC chips from ram sticks.
3. 40 lbs IC chips from video, sound and network cards.
4. 60 lbs mixed CPUs. Mostly P3 upwards.
5. 500 lbs of plug ends. Mostly video, printer, network and usb types.

Questions welcomed and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Check out boardsort.com they have a complete list of what they pay & they pay up front - you pay shipping.

Kurt

kurt said:
Check out boardsort.com they have a complete list of what they pay & they pay up front - you pay shipping.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. I checked out Boardsorts prices. Unfortunately Chris does not buy from my location. I have compared his prices with a local buyer in New Zealand and Boardsort.com is paying more than four times the amount on most grades of escrap. That is accounting for currency conversions and weight conversions.

Tankman said:
I have compared his prices with a local buyer in New Zealand and Boardsort.com is paying more than four times the amount on most grades of escrap. That is accounting for currency conversions and weight conversions.

I guess your local buyer doesn't have any competition and can pay as little as he wants because of that fact.

Jim

I guess your local buyer doesn't have any competition and can pay as little as he wants because of that fact.

Jim[/quote]

Your guess would be pretty much spot on. With only two buyers for escrap and a few that that want to charge for their services that I am aware of in the whole of NZ.

Also you must consider that the material has a certain value and the cost of shipping must be deducted from the value of the material.

Last year I won a bid on feebay for 1/2lb high grade gold plated pins for only $17 US Thought I did pretty good until I noticed the seller was in Isreal. I should have noticed before I bid but when I opened the item the auction closed in less than a minute.
Well long story short it cost $42.00 US to ship the item from Isreal to California.
With the size of the load you are selling you would probably break even by selling local. Someone has to pay shipping otherwise. Break it up and sell it on feebay. Just a thought.

My opinion, sorry.
Tom C.

Tom C,
No need to be sorry. I have considerd shipping costs, and would still come out better of if I sold this lot overseas.

Geo,
I will have a go with the finger boards to see what I can recover and ebay the rest if the lot if not sold prior. Have seen some good information on this forum so far in regards to processes and yeilds.

Tankman you said you only have two buyers so maybe this is an opportunity for you to buy from them and sell in quantity to the end users, probably China. We have another member from your area on the forum , or Noidea as he calls himself on here, perhaps you should try and talk to him and see if there's an area you can cooperate in?

Had a go at using the AP process for the first time. The source was from several grams of finger boards. Only did a very small batch as a learning curve.

Attachments

• 100_0590.JPG
    100_0590.JPG
    14.5 KB
thats a pretty good curve as you were just discussing starting four days ago. :lol: nice looking foils.

Good job Tankman :p

I don't know if you are interested in processing the Ic's or not. If you want to give it a try Patnor has a really good tutoral he put together himself as a PDF for us to download if wanted.
If you need help finding it let me know.

Tom C.

That 100lbs of chips from cards can be reduced to 1/4th - 1/5th of weight with pyrolysis. If you grind that burned plastic to fine powder and wash that with water you may get about 10-20 pounds of metallic parts from inside with fine gold wire. God I would like to have a go at 100 pounds, you have good few ounces of gold in there.

Tankman said:

Jim

Your guess would be pretty much spot on. With only two buyers for escrap and a few that that want to charge for their services that I am aware of in the whole of NZ.[/quote]

sounds like an opportunity.

i am wondering how boardsort pays $5 for an old MB - that's about what it comes to for an old ATX size MB (9.6" x 12")

i was thinking, that they recycle the gold plated connector parts, and sort, possibly test, & re-market memory chips - that used to be a big money-maker for surplus shops in Silicon Valley in the 1990's.

now i'm realizing - maybe they put the misc. IC's in a ball mill or grinder of some sort to extract values from those ?

Geo said:
thats a pretty good curve as you were just discussing starting four days ago. :lol: nice looking foils.

After reading your original post, I thought why not give it go. Started on the same day as I had the HCL and H202 already. I have done a lot of reading on the forum in regards to processes and yeilds. Also I have read Hokes book. Looking foward now to doing some bigger lots :lol:

Tom C.

I need to get some more experience first before I move on to the IC chips. In saying that, could you send the link for the PDF please. Would like to have a go at processesing a small batch at a later date to see how well I do.

Latest posts

Back