First "Real" Attempt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Butcher,

Yes i have read it a while ago, and also the reactivity series. Remembering is not the same as reading it once though, so i have to reference it at times on my phone. I will continue my studies though because I'm no where close to where I need to be but closer than before. Thanks.

Hi. My mistake. I did not read the Cucl-1.pdf. Just Hoke, reaction pdf and internet search. I downloaded it a while ago and it is well put together. Reading it fully now. Thanks.

Hi Butcher. That was a great resource.So good I decided to rinse it in distilled water and see what it looks like. It appears a few chunks of the flatter material just clumped up very crumbly but am not messing with it. It has goldish hue. I'm guessing i should have let it sit a few more days. I'm going to save this before I proceed further. I just want to see it dried up. I have two small plastic containers. I weighed both because though they were the same size they weighed 0.08 grams apart. So I tried my best to use the same amount of water for each when transferring it to the container then weighed it. It is roughly 1.1 grams. I say roughly because this was just based on the observed numbers. Here is I picture.20130507_224923.jpg

You could save it for later when you need a little copper to precipitate gold out of a dirty solution,or in some other process, I would not dry it out, but store it wet in an old pill bottle, and label it of its content, the reason I do not like to dry the copper, is it forms copper carbonates from the air.

grfphil, have you been working with Hoke's getting acquainted experiments, these are great tools for getting a better understanding of reactions, and learning to recognize and test for metals in solutions, this type of small experiments can also be used with many of the things we work with, they give us a better idea of what to expect, and what the reactions would look like, this is why I feel memory fingers are a great starting point, to learn with, learning the copper II chloride leach, and also to learn how gold if fairly pure will react in HCl/NaClO (bleach), and how to precipitate the gold, the fingers are an easy material to deal with, with only a couple of metals to deal with, the metals are thin so the reactions go fairly easy, and do not take too long, with a batch of memory fingers, you can also use them for the getting acquainted experiments.

a material with very little valuable metal (gold Etc.) that has a a lot of base metals, or many types of base metals, (especially solder included), can be difficult to work with, and it can be difficult to understand many of the reactions, and to understand many of the problems encountered while learning, the little bit of gold or other metals can be easier to lose some of it in the processes when working with small batches or very little precious metal and lots of base metals, it can actually be easier to work with higher grade materials, like memory fingers or Karat gold, it can also be easier to work with large batches or where there is more content of values than with many tiny batches.

It can also be a mistake when beginning to learn, to try working with a valuable batch of scrap before you really have a good understanding of the processes or understand all of the reactions, as beginners we make a lot of mistakes, and batches of high value can be hard to come by, we can lose some of the values while learning without even knowing it.

Latest posts

Back