First time with cellphones

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary492

so this is my first time gold refing and i was wondering i have alot of cell phone boards and do i take the chips and other stuff off before putting in aqua regia or can i leave them on because i was going to take them put them in a beaker filled with hot water and sprinkle nitric acid on them is that right please help thank you guys are awesome

Hi Gary , how are tricks?
I hope your well!
There are different types of precious metal bearing materials inside a cellphone ( plated connectors and gold traces on boards , among others ) , and each have their own different methods of processing and recovery.
The usual advice here chief is to keep collecting and sorting your materials to process , and in the meanwhile do some reading both here in the forum and in the recomended books , and learn about the different types of materials and the different processes that will apply to each when it comes to recovering and refining your precious metals ( pm's ).
A highly recommended and easy to read book on the subject of the wet (chemical) refining of precious metals is available as a download from my sig line at the bottom of this post.
The book is a great place to gain a good understanding of some of the processes employed and the reactions that will occur ( look for 'C.M. Hoke' ).
If you throw all of your whole cellphone boards together into a pot of nitric or aqua regia you'll be setting yourself up for a headache , take the time to do some reading beforehand and it will pay off in the end , 8)
The really good part is if you do your homework and you still get stuck , there are some brilliant minds here with years of precious metals recovery and refining experience , they would more than likely be willing to help you with anything you might get stuck on.
All the best with it , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

( Edited to fix grammatical error :mrgreen: )

gary492 said:
thank you and all i want from my boards is gold :lol:

If you throw them all in together you will be lucky to get that and if you do it'll come with a lot if hard unnecessary work and frustration.
Take the advice given and read your golds going nowhere unless you lose it....

Chris edit your post...ect - etc.. It's one of Harolds pet hates.

Hi Nick , how are tricks today?
I hope your well!

nickvc said:

My bad chief!
I thought the full stop would cover it ( ect. ) , :roll:
All the best for now , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

gary492 said:

That is all that a lot of people want when they get here.
Make sure that you understand the proper safety steps needed to enjoy your gold when you are done.
Also proper disposal of all your waste is a major concern also. If you can't be bothered with that then a quick sale on Ebay and buying gold with the proceeds would be a better bet. This hobby isn't as easy as most people want it to be.

Jim

nickvc said:
gary492 said:

If you throw them all in together you will be lucky to get that and if you do it'll come with a lot if hard unnecessary work and frustration.
Take the advice given and read your golds going nowhere unless you lose it....

its one of his idiosyncrasies. :lol:

nickvc said:
Geo said:
It's worse than that. Ect is NOT a word, nor the contraction of two words. What it is is random letters used improperly to represent a contraction. I am also aware (and sympathetic) that Chris has issues with writing. He tries hard to be proper. He's one of the good guys.

Harold

Harold_V said:
nickvc said:
Geo said:
It's worse than that. Ect is NOT a word, nor the contraction of two words. What it is is random letters used improperly to represent a contraction. I am also aware (and sympathetic) that Chris has issues with writing. He tries hard to be proper. He's one of the good guys.

Harold

:oops:

THANK YOU ALL I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU GUYS THANXS FOR REPLYING AND TAKING ALL THAT TIME THANK YOU :lol:

gary492,
All capital letters are frowned on when you post, they call it yelling; please do not write that way here on the forum, or someone may just yell back at you.

gary492 said:
sry :mrgreen:

old habits die hard, don't they? do try to keep in mind that even though this is something that's not considered serious communication, it sends a message that its ok to use texting lingo or slang on the forum and even though this may be harmless the next time may not be. you've been warned against it in another post. don't let this get you in hot water with Harold because he will not warn you too many times before your shown the door. we all want you to stay and learn so don't take it as we are picking on you. believe me, its nothing personal, its the same for everybody.

Latest posts

Back