first try...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not the mistake you made, using AR to digest all the base metals
(refining is a method of elimination, we try and elminiate everything else then digest the gold)

but i have put too much nitric in AR which makes it hard to precipitate gold

He does not need to add copper to cement the values out --- look at his first picture - there are still undissolved pins in the bottom of his beaker so the cementing of values has already taken place - also - although not an absolute - I will bet my money on the white powder being tin from bronze/brass pins

If this were me what I would do is filter/wash (powder & remaining pins) then dry & roast (to remove trace acids so as to not recreate weak AR) then finish base metal (pin) removal with nitric (which will result in some more stannic tin)

Because he started with AR he already has the problem of gold colloids & stannic tin (so making more stannic tin is not a real problem at this point)

Because the amount of gold at this point is so little (pins from 4 mother boards therefore not worth chasing at this time) after I removed the rest of the base metal (pins) I would then filter (charm plug) the stannic tin/gold colloids & would add that to my dirty filter collection to be processed later (a bucket or 2 of dirty filters)

That process would be - incinerate filters to red hot to turn base metal salts to base metal oxides followed by HCL leaching to remove base metal oxides followed by noble metal refining

This is just my opinion - there's not enough gold to chase at the moment - so get rid of the remaining base metal - filter collect all other solids (base metal salts & gold colloids) add it to other dirty stuff (stock pot/ filters) and chase the gold when you have collected enough to make it worth chasing

Kurt

EDIT; to change misspelled case to chase

Hello again guys! Well today i tried to give one more shot follwing exactly step by steb Hoke's process. The only think i did that is just to see the colors becaming out of the solutions in every step. I didn't whant to gain any gold powder at all. So, i took some gold plated pins (about 15 grams) and i put them in nitric acid and water in 50/50 ratio. All good so far..I saw this kind of green liquid with some brown feumes. I let the solution for about 2 hours until the reaction stopped. At this point to be sure i put some nitric drops just to see if all the materials (exept gold) where into the solution. No reaction was noted. So green light for the next step.

I filtered the acid solution and i washed the foils with hot water. I proceed putting HCL until all foils covered. I added some water in (equal to HCL). After measurments i put the nitric acid also. I finally saw this yellow liquid we all talk about. I was pleased until 2.5 hours later... :cry: . The solution became greenish but clear and i note that there was no foils in the solution or any other material. Do you guys have any clue why the solution changed color??
Shouldn't still be yellow?

Note: The process wasn't aimed for gold powder. Only for getting familiar with reactions etc.

adrsinop said:
Hello again guys! Well today i tried to give one more shot follwing exactly step by steb Hoke's process. The only think i did that is just to see the colors becaming out of the solutions in every step. I didn't whant to gain any gold powder at all. So, i took some gold plated pins (about 15 grams) and i put them in nitric acid and water in 50/50 ratio. All good so far..I saw this kind of green liquid with some brown feumes. I let the solution for about 2 hours until the reaction stopped. At this point to be sure i put some nitric drops just to see if all the materials (exept gold) where into the solution. No reaction was noted. So green light for the next step.

I filtered the acid solution and i washed the foils with hot water. I proceed putting HCL until all foils covered. I added some water in (equal to HCL). After measurments i put the nitric acid also. I finally saw this yellow liquid we all talk about. I was pleased until 2.5 hours later... :cry: . The solution became greenish but clear and i note that there was no foils in the solution or any other material. Do you guys have any clue why the solution changed color??
Shouldn't still be yellow?

Note: The process wasn't aimed for gold powder. Only for getting familiar with reactions etc.
Just washing the foils after being in a dilute nitric solution does not get rid of the nitric. You need to incinerate the material first to get rid of the nitric and any base metals left.When you added the HCl to the water washed foils, you made a dilute AR. The foils more than likely still had base metals in it from the water wash, that is why you got the green color. Even if you are dissolving your base metals with nitric an refining with AR, you still need to incinerate and do proper washing techniques before starting the AR process. The incineration and proper washing techniques get rid of base metals that are either in nitrate or chloride salts. It also gets rid of tin which is a problem with nitric acid and AR.

Rusty

From the begining i mentioned that i am sorry for not understanding so well some of the talks we have here (most of the vocabulary, don't shoot me i'm from Greece) so i apologize for not understanding you my friend. You mean to heat the solution before AR apply?

I hope this translates across correctly.

Απλά το πλύσιμο των φύλλων αφού σε αραιό διάλυμα νιτρικού δεν απαλλαγούμε από το νιτρικό. Θα χρειαστεί για την καύση των υλικών πρώτα να απαλλαγούμε από το νιτρικό και όλα τα μέταλλα βάσης left.When έχετε προσθέσει το HCl στο νερό πλένονται φύλλα, κάνατε ένα αραιό AR. Τα φύλλα περισσότερο από πιθανό είχαν ακόμα μέταλλα σε αυτό από την πλύση με νερό, γι 'αυτό πήρε το πράσινο χρώμα. Ακόμα κι αν είστε διάλυση μέταλλα σας με νιτρικό μια διύλισης με AR, θα πρέπει ακόμα να την αποτέφρωση και να κάνετε τις κατάλληλες τεχνικές πλύσης πριν από την έναρξη της διαδικασίας AR. Η αποτέφρωση και οι κατάλληλες τεχνικές πλύσης να απαλλαγούμε από κοινά μέταλλα που είναι είτε σε νιτρικό ή χλωριούχο άλατα. Παίρνει επίσης να απαλλαγούμε από κασσίτερο που είναι ένα πρόβλημα με νιτρικό οξύ και AR.

Oh! You suprised me! Thanks again! I got it all! The only word i didn't get was "incineration". (Heating until ashes is the translation that Google gives)

adrsinop said:
Oh! You suprised me! Thanks again! I got it all! The only word i didn't get was "incineration". (Heating until ashes is the translation that Google gives)
I'm glad the translation worked. to incinerate something is to burn it completely. With incinerating foils, or anything else, like filters, or some organics, you heat it with a flame until everything is turned to ash, and the metals are red hot, but not melted. It's like using charcoal in a BBQ, you can't cook until they are ashed over. You don't want any carbon left, just the ash and metal.

Χαίρομαι που η μετάφραση λειτούργησε. για την αποτέφρωση κάτι είναι να το κάψει εντελώς. Με την καύση ταινίες, ή οτιδήποτε άλλο, όπως τα φίλτρα, ή κάποια οργανικά, το θερμαίνει με μια φλόγα έως ότου όλα έγιναν στάχτη, και τα μέταλλα είναι κόκκινο καυτό, αλλά να μην λιώνει. Είναι σαν τη χρήση άνθρακα σε ένα μπάρμπεκιου, δεν μπορείτε να μαγειρέψετε μέχρι να αποτεφρωθεί πάνω. Δεν θέλετε καμία αριστερά του άνθρακα, μόνο η στάχτη και το μέταλλο.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back