Flat pack question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drowningbodacius

Ok so I was able to fire my flat packs today and i came upon a few questions while I was sifting through the internal components. I noticed that the ratio of non-magnetic wires to gold wire is very low but some of my magnetic wire is gold plated. Is this normal? I've also run across the internal reflective boards have a gold strip running down the middle of one side. The question is what is the reflective board made of? I ask because this is the first time ove processed flat packs

"Text edit"

Attachments

• IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    566.6 KB
Silicone chip. It is like glass. You can put it in AR but I do not bother until I will have like kilogram of them.
Do not crush. It is a pain to remove if you plan to use pan.
I process bonding wires separately from metallic pins. Pins are plated on the end where bonding wire was attached. I do process these separate too as they may contain bit of Ag and Pd too. Again I do that when I accumulate enough.

Ok thanks Patnor! I read your guide on processing these packs and it didnt really mention the silicone wafer. I have several pounds of these to get through, the paning is a pain as ive never done this before and dont have the proper panning plates and stuff but thaks for the quick response on the question. :)

You do not need to get down to gold only. You can do it in a tall plastic bucket. Fill with water, mix with some spoon or spatula, wait 10-20 seconds, slowly decant - pour dirty water off, put in fresh water and repeat few times. If they are incinerated properly this will be enough. If not then you will need to crush them little bit. You may do it with spoon again, like mashing potatoes, crush/mash little bit then water, mix, settle for a while, pour off....

When reduced to about 1/5 of original volume I use magnet to separate magnetic pins and parts and rest goes to HNO3. I change acid few times (test for silver and palladium) and when copper pins are dissolved then I decant, dry, incinerate, mash/wash with water again and then AR.

Oh that sounds alot easier then what i was planning. i do have another question have you ever tried to dissolve the gold wire in hcl\cl? its hard for me to get nitric acid at the moment

Use small amount of HCl, add chlorine in small amounts. Agitation little helps, I used small tall jar where I put plastic lid on but did not closed it fully and then I swirled liquid around inside bottle. I added clorox few times in small amounts and it worked. In fact when I started I could not sourced nitric around for about a year. Now it is easier but yes, it can be done with HCl/Cl only. Wires are very fine, I would say more fine than some foils from fingers. :)

Latest posts

Back