flatpacks and black plastic chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i have a ballmill on which i used to powder cats substrates--the powder was very fine(talc like)--i had to do at least 20kilos batches since the ballmill was contructed for milling up to 50kilos batches ------------------------------------ now i am thinking of milling flatpacks and black plastics(cured epoxy) and waiting to have 20kilos of these material------- question:did anyone did this already?if so---did it work?on your opinions,do you think that the mill will powder the flats and chips? i will be glad for informations-----by the way the mill makes a fine powder of ceramic processors

i tried smashing them with a hammer, they just flatten the plastic, I would suspect the ball mill would also have some trouble with them. let us know what you find out.

Hi Arthur:

Swiers posted sometime ago his experience with his own ball mil and PCB's which might help you.
These are the links:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3107&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2182&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Saludos
Carlos

butcher:
You tried smashing them with a hammer, but if that hammer had a croshach like a framing hammer or a meat tenderizer it would have broken things up a little better I think, with the sharp edges involved.
I havn't tried it yet but someday I plan on using an asortment of gears out of an old transmission or washing machine ( fist size ) for the grinding in a ball mill of plastics ( IC's, flatpacks and ??) , and mabey some circuit boards to recover the copper tracks.
Just a thought.
Ray

PS: did I just turn a ball mill into a gear mill? :)

What's the easiest/fastest way to determine if the flat pack is ceramic or plastic?
Most of them feel the same to me. Some of them are a lighter color and I find these are ceramic but there are many many types that
are simply black, some plastic some ceramic.

The reason I ask is I have a large lot of these and it could take quite some time to separate if I had to smack each one with a hammer :? .

-Craig

Back