Fouled up AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moo

Hay guys n girl,

I just heated up some ar I had to dissolve the rest of the base and get my gold , unfortunatly after I added some sodium nitrate the top of my flask broke when I was putting the top seal back on, I immediatly dunked the whole thing into the scrubbing bucket I had filled with water and sodium carbonate, I now have a fizzy blue solution. How do I proceeed from here to get my gold back?

I would assume you have insoluble carbonates,

Here is what I would try, decant solution from insoluble powder, wash these powders in boiling water, till hot water wash is clear, then heat in dilute HCl (adding slowly to avoid boil over), and get the powders acidic with the hot HCl wash, let powders settle but decant while solution is still hot, after HCl washes become clear, another hot water wash, and then neutralize powders Using a base like NaOH, rinse salts formed, with another hot water wash, dry and incinerate the powders red hot, and start over, this time remove base metals first, if You had tin in solution originally then I would remove it first with a boil in HCl,

(If this is the case of tin in solution remember you will need to rinse out the HCl, neutralize, rinse, and incinerate again before using nitric to remove the other base metals to avoid making an aqua regia solution prematurely),

thankss butcher ill try, I went ahead and filtered the solution thinking it cant hurt and ive got a big black sludge there must be 90% carbonates, My gold button I had in solution was to my surprise still in the solution but weighed half gram less, see how I go.

Latest posts

Back