Found a big PGM nugget and extremely rich ore in a brain sized rock weighing 16.4lbs looks like it'd we 2 or3 lbs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Snow

I found a small rock about the size of a human brain, 16.4lbs with a huge nugget on top and going down through extremely rich ore, do I even need a collector metal with the big nugget in there or should I use lead to reduce the melting temp, I've tried to separate the nugget from the ore but the ore is just mostly metal, classic PGM look to the ore and nugget plus it's. heavier than gold, it take a little chip off a smell sulfides....and I just stumbled over this rock, the part sticking out the ground....all I have is Chapman's flux and thinner and lead at the moment only an oz of silver so....can someone help me figure this out or have a xrf or whatever the laser readers are called, I'm in Troutdale/Gresham, OR. I get the tiny white bubble from the ore and the nugget....hell I can't hardly break that rock up but the nugget is a really unique shape I guess I can post pics. or a video, :lease help

Welcom to the forum.
Such a big nugget in a rock may be worth much more if you have it clean and some of the rock leached away. Called a specimen.
If it is a PGM's nugget.
What makes you suspect that?

No idea how to safely leach ore to partially or completely reveal the goodies inside. By the way.
Do you have a picture?

Martijn.

no doubt it's a PGM mix, filled with black crystals, one I smashed to powder ring to take the nugget out of the ore but it is mostly so dense with metal even my rock chisels and sledge hammers I barely break off more than a gram when I went under the nugget I found another layer of nugget..someone please help

Welcom to the forum.
Such a big nugget in a rock may be worth much more if you have it clean and some of the rock leached away. Called a specimen.
If it is a PGM's nugget.
What makes you suspect that?

No idea how to safely leach ore to partially or completely reveal the goodies inside. By the way.
Do you have a picture?

Martijn.
I just did the peroxide test, there is no doubt it's PGM ore and nugget although it may be alloyed, yes I will send you pics by Monday, as I have to send it from my dad's phone since I'm on his computer...so I will have to transfer and attach pics and a video if you'd like....very busy weekend that we are getting ready to go start...so Monday through Friday, unless my computer flashes out again I will keep this page up....Thanks

My boy was going to smelt it but he's gonna have to do it by hand and line the garage with tarps or plastic to catch all of it...there was very little material that powdered grey, and I think I hit a big black crystal cause I hit it and in the grey dust was now black dust....and you could see the remnants of the crystal

As Martijn stated, you may have found a multi 1000 dollar rock specimen, and reduced it to a couple of bucks. Always sad when someone does that, at least to someone who appreciates treasures from the Earth. Kind of like taking a masterpiece painting, and throwing it in the jaw crusher. Any way, maybe next time somebody more knowledgable will find such a piece.
To determine what you found, you should have a bit of knowledge as to what the host rock, or matrix is. Silica is acidic, Limestone is basic, with a host of intermediary minerals in between. Sounds like you know your mineralogy by positively identifying it, such as you stated. Are you so experienced that you could readily identify by sight, or did you do some other chemical, blowpipe, or other field tests to reconfirm what you think you found? As usual, our recommendation is to send to a professional lab, have analyzed, then find a suitable process for the recovery of precious metals. Or salvage what is left to a mineral collector.

As Martijn stated, you may have found a multi 1000 dollar rock specimen, and reduced it to a couple of bucks. Always sad when someone does that, at least to someone who appreciates treasures from the Earth. Kind of like taking a masterpiece painting, and throwing it in the jaw crusher. Any way, maybe next time somebody more knowledgable will find such a piece.
To determine what you found, you should have a bit of knowledge as to what the host rock, or matrix is. Silica is acidic, Limestone is basic, with a host of intermediary minerals in between. Sounds like you know your mineralogy by positively identifying it, such as you stated. Are you so experienced that you could readily identify by sight, or did you do some other chemical, blowpipe, or other field tests to reconfirm what you think you found? As usual, our recommendation is to send to a professional lab, have analyzed, then find a suitable process for the recovery of precious metals. Or salvage what is left to a mineral collector.
I have barely knocked off an oz. from the specimen, it's so full of metal and the nugget looks like a deer with a moose rack.....I just sanded off the green rust on the big nugget, so some Fe was present but it had just rained and I only saw the dull shine in all the pics I've seen, I tried to get under the nugget and there was more nugget another 1/3 inch layer, I couldn't see and chipped off a tiny piece...it',s 90+% how my son found it and yeah we are going to rent a gun for a day 300$ and I can't get the local place to get back to me..

Facebook is not here and we are not on Facebook.
okay I'm just trying to find solutions and below Attach files and Upload video it says Share Facebook, twitter, upside-down umbrella, Pintrest, a bold t, WhatsApp and and pic of envelope like email perhaps...World Tree...

I have no way or space to refine with chemicals and a ventilations but it's an amazing find and I only have a furnace and the nugget that runs through it I took some of the weight off but only less than a pound for sure I relooked and reweighed and there are still black crystals stuck in the specimen but the nugget looks like a large Stag from Britain or Norwegian with those rounded horns his head turned looking through his left eye at you, I have tried to send pics but can only post the pic on there I need a new phone, or something cause I can't send or take anymore pics or video's so you can look on Andy Snow's Facebook page and see the specimen and I will try also to get the little video I couldn't get to post on this forum...this was my second prospecting trip and I got blessed but I am a beginner so take it easy on me I'm healing from TBI's and heart conditions...ok this is an amazing piece of platinum, I used the only safe chem's I could to test it at home with hydrogen peroxide and the entire ore is stained with all the tiny white bubbles and the were all over the stag also....I know this is an amazing specimen but I want whatever comes off the chemical bath that Yggdrasil suggested and scalded me for...I just don't know how to work with chemicals yet...please I need some help with this

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just a beginner and found this cause my spot was closed and the nugget on top looks like Northern or British Stag with a more rounded rack and head turned with left eye looking at you..it's really beautiful I don't know how to use chemical nor do I have a workspace with proper ventilation, so I took off a tiny bit of ore and broke one of the onyx crystals and stopped after that I thought it was part of the nugget that runs through the wholes specimen and the top looks like a carving cut into or stamped into the top, very beautiful but we could only get a picture or 2 on my son Andy Snow's Facebook page who is the one that spotted it and is writing to you now...please help with this, I put it in peroxide and the whole specimen is now stained from the tiny white bubbles on the ore part!

I am just a beginner and found this cause my spot was closed and the nugget on top looks like Northern or British Stag with a more rounded rack and head turned with left eye looking at you..it's really beautiful I don't know how to use chemical nor do I have a workspace with proper ventilation, so I took off a tiny bit of ore and broke one of the onyx crystals and stopped after that I thought it was part of the nugget that runs through the wholes specimen and the top looks like a carving cut into or stamped into the top, very beautiful but we could only get a picture or 2 on my son Andy Snow's Facebook page who is the one that spotted it and is writing to you now...please help with this, I put it in peroxide and the whole specimen is now stained from the tiny white bubbles on the ore part!
Please keep your posts relating to the same subject in one thread.
This is very close to double posting by the way and against forum rules.
I have moved the posts from today into your first thread.

I just joined the forum you break my balls about everything man you want the specimen then help! Don't be such a dick

I just joined the forum you break my balls about everything man you want the specimen then help! Don't be such a dick
Do you think you can break the rules?
Language man, people have been banned for less than your last comment!
I have done the moving part of the job for you, and you have apparently not done your part of the studies needed, have you?

Read this thoroughly before you post again:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...s-before-you-post-about-ore.32137/post-341903

Stephen, I understand you're new and there is a lot you don't understand, but there is no need to be rude, use foul language, or "flame" someone who is actually trying to help you. Read the Forum Rules. If you violate them again, I will ban you.

Dave

You sound like someone with the knowledge I lack, please see my first and only post just made, I'm curious on the selling specimens and I'm pretty certain I've got quite a few, beware, I'm a total newb.

There are numerous mineral collector, sellers, and buyers. One of the best places in the world to meet some of these people, is at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show. If you don't make some connections there, you never will. I know it is a long way from Pennsyltucky, but if you are really into minerals, you will have to make that pilgrimage in your lifetime, well worth it ( PS, bring LOTS of money ). You can also contact mineral dealers, who also professionally prep specimens for sale. Some very clean photos will be necessary, as they cannot make heads or tails from grainy photos either. Maybe Google "rocks for sale, wholesale", to find a dealer. It would also be convenient if they were close to your location.

Back