Franklin Mint gold electroplate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapman1077

Anyone have an idea of the thickness of the gold plating? I did the math and the rounds have 5.7 square feet of surface area ( i did not include the rims). I would just like to get an idea.

5.7 square feet sounds like a lot. What objects are you talking about?

From http://www.franklin-mint-silver.com/franklin-mint--silver-gold-and-silver-weights.htm
Most gold plating is about 10-20 microns thick (1 micron = .001 millimeter).

Göran

scrapman1077 said:
Anyone have an idea of the thickness of the gold plating? I did the math and the rounds have 5.7 square feet of surface area ( i did not include the rims). I would just like to get an idea.

I didn't know they had manhole covers at the FM.:}

Eric

Electro plating is very thin, just enough to color the object being plated. Are you certain it's plate and not clad?

If it's "clad" in gold not plated then it's quite a bit thicker as the gold is mechanically rolled out and press bonded to both sides of a core of base metal before being shaped into rounds.

Usually these types of things from people like FM are sold as clad to pump up the "value" to the buyer. Although clad is thicker than plate, it's still pretty thin. Similar to gold filled or gold rolled items like glasses frames.

Edit to add:

From the FM web site;

"Gold Plating

Because gold is so valuable, many people wonder whether the gold plating on Franklin Mint medals contains a significant amount of gold that would make them more valuable. The answer is no, because the gold plating is so extremely thin that there is a negligible amount of actual gold in the "24kt gold electroplate"..... .......The gold-plated silver medals look great, but the value is the same as the silver value."

I would guess the gold plating to be about 4 millionths of an inch thick. That would give about 1.03 grams of gold ($37@$1119 spot) for the entire 144 coin lot. Could be worse - probably won't be any better.

Latest posts

Back